Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

3 question for the exam day

--- If any of the questions violate any policy, please delete the post ---

I need to know about the following:
1) On the virtual system, man pages will be available?
2) Will i be able to install software if i consider that it would help me to complete the task?
3) The class of LFS201, provides everything that you need to know to take the exam, or additional extensive reading is required? For example, lets say there is a section on awk, and the class provides basic awk usage. Should i learn more advance awk usage, to be able to perform?

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,142

Hi,

About item 3, I don't think any course would provide all the content and details you are going to be asked during the exam. In all cases the student needs to go further with the content and do many tests by him/herself, and explore in a self-taught way.

Many regards,
    Luis.

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

For questions 1 and 2, you should be able to find answers in the Candidate Handbook and Certification FAQs. If you cannot find answers to your questions, please email certificationsupport@linuxfoundation.org.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

We cannot authoritatively answer questions about exams, so while I would expect:
    1) man pages should be available -- you have a fully function VM
    2) You should be able to use apt, yum etc, although I cannot promise if all packages are available etc.
    3) There are things in LFS201 that are unlikely to be on the exam -and- there are things that are probably mentioned in LFS201 but not in the same way as the exam -- and there are topics we do not cover in LFS201 because it is already long enough and they are covered in LFS101x at edx.org (for free).

To repeat: For questions 1 and 2, you should be able to find answers in the Candidate Handbook and Certification FAQs. If you cannot find answers to your questions, please email certificationsupport@linuxfoundation.org

• Thank you all for your useful inputs. They got me covered.

• jnthn
    jnthn Posts: 3

@KonstantinA said:
    --- If any of the questions violate any policy, please delete the post ---

I need to know about the following:
    1) On the virtual system, man pages will be available?
    2) Will i be able to install software if i consider that it would help me to complete the task?
    3) The class of LFS201, provides everything that you need to know to take the exam, or additional extensive reading is required? For example, lets say there is a section on awk, and the class provides basic awk usage. Should i learn more advance awk usage, to be able to perform?

Thank you in advance!

1) Yep, well at least the virtual Centos I used did. I'd be surprised if man or info were not there as standard
    2) IIRC, you can and it's permitted, but I don't recommend it (you may likely need all the time to answer the questions) as the environment is a wee bit slow
    3) Based on a couple of failed takes of the exam, no. I recommend doing this course, then comparing the points covered in the exam scope and then filling the gaps in from personal study.

Categories

Upcoming Training