Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Chromeee

Options

I just recently bought a Toshiba Chromebook 2. I knew exactly what I was buying when I bought it and I love it it does what I need it to do. I also kept in mind that installing Linux onto it was an option if I eventually wished to do so, and I have now wished to do so. I have attempted doing it so many times and gotten it to work twice however the only issue is after I turn off my machine I can't get back into Linux when I boot it back up. I installed Ubuntu Unity with Crouton and I have no idea if this is user error or something else? Is there a different distro I should use or should I install it a different way? I have no idea, if anybody has an insight on this it will be much appreciated.

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Crouton will only install Linux distros that it supports.
    I have learned that a chromebook must remain in developer mode in order to switch between chromeOS and another Linux operating system.

What do you see when you turn in your chromebook? What did you see after you installed Ubuntu and what did you do when you rebooted your system before then issue?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Please read the article at http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/795730-how-to-easily-install-ubuntu-on-chromebook-with-crouton and try again. Others have had success with Ubuntu and it is well documented.

If you experience issues after reading the tutorial then please add your questions as comments on the post as the author should be monitoring the comments have the hands on knowledge to assist.
  • zachandcheez
    Options
    Crouton will only install Linux distros that it supports.
    I have learned that a chromebook must remain in developer mode in order to switch between chromeOS and another Linux operating system.

What do you see when you turn in your chromebook? What did you see after you installed Ubuntu and what did you do when you rebooted your system before then issue?
    The screen telling me OS verification is off so basically the developer mode screen. After that I click ctrl+D and it takes me into Chrome OS and I login and everything but then when I do the ctrl+-> or ctrl+alt+-> (whichever one it is I forget at the moment) and it just brings me into the terminal. I also do control and the refresh button and it still doesn't boot Ubuntu. Thanks for your help :)
  • saqman2060
    Options
    "I have attempted doing it so many times and gotten it to work twice"

Can you clarify this statement you made? It sounds like you were in a learning stage. Just when you figured things out, you were able to access your ubuntu install twice. Is this correct?
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The screen telling me OS verification is off so basically the developer mode screen. After that I click ctrl+D and it takes me into Chrome OS and I login and everything but then when I do the ctrl+-> or ctrl+alt+-> (whichever one it is I forget at the moment) and it just brings me into the terminal. I also do control and the refresh button and it still doesn't boot Ubuntu. Thanks for your help :)

Switching to developer mode will be different for different models of chromebook.
    Switching between ChromeOS and Linux sounds universal.

When your system is in developer mode, the key combination ctrl+d takes you to ChromeOS from the boot warning screen. To access your ubuntu install, you have to execute it within the terminal. Depending on the variant of ubuntu you have installed, the commands should look like this:
    sudo startxfce4 "for xubuntu"

sudo startkde "for kubuntu"

sudo startunity "for ubuntu with unity"

Installing ubuntu on a chromebook

It appears you are using the key combinations to switch between a running ubuntu instance and chromeOS. However, your installed linux OS is not running.

Try booting your installed linux OS from the terminal using the above commands.

• zachandcheez
    Options
    "I have attempted doing it so many times and gotten it to work twice"

Can you clarify this statement you made? It sounds like you were in a learning stage. Just when you figured things out, you were able to access your ubuntu install twice. Is this correct?
    I installed it a number of times to get it to what i wanted, if it wasn't what I needed I just reset my whole system and did it again. The first time I was in a bit of a learning stage. The last 2 times was when I wasn't able to return to Ubuntu after shutting off my chromebook.
  • zachandcheez
    Options

Switching to developer mode will be different for different models of chromebook.
    Switching between ChromeOS and Linux sounds universal.

When your system is in developer mode, the key combination ctrl+d takes you to ChromeOS from the boot warning screen. To access your ubuntu install, you have to execute it within the terminal. Depending on the variant of ubuntu you have installed, the commands should look like this:
    sudo startxfce4 "for xubuntu"

sudo startkde "for kubuntu"

sudo startunity "for ubuntu with unity"

Installing ubuntu on a chromebook

It appears you are using the key combinations to switch between a running ubuntu instance and chromeOS. However, your installed linux OS is not running.

Try booting your installed linux OS from the terminal using the above commands.
    I did try this :/ it did not work
  • saqman2060
    Options
    Sorry I wasn't able to help you resolve your issue. Lets hope someone who has more experience installing and trouble shooting Linux on a chromebook will direct you in the right direction.

Categories

Upcoming Training