Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

Exercise 2.1: Can't get provided CentOS 7 image to boot?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any kind soul can help me.

I'm falling at the first hurdle of LFS216 here - I can't get the provided VM to boot.

I've downloaded https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/VIRTUAL_MACHINE_IMAGES/CentOS7.tar.xz, and have set up a new machine in VirtualBox on my Mac, and am using this as a disk image.

(I believe using my Mac as the host should be fine? https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/VIRTUAL_MACHINE_IMAGES/000README.txt states that "The VM's have been confirmed to work on Linux, Windows and MacOS host machines.")

The machine initially starts to boot fine (on /boot/3.10.0), and I see the CentOS Linux 7 progress bar, but then this error is produced:

The /boot/5.1.0 option produces the same error - but the (0-rescue) option works, and gives me a login window. I assume this may not be ideal for the rest of the course, however.

I've done a lot of Googling, and trying various fixes for dracut related issues (I'm guessing the disk uuids don't match somewhere?), but to no avail.

Can anyone please help? I obviously can't get further on the course whilst falling at this first hurdle.

Many thanks,
Neil.

Comments

• coopcoop Posts: 277

I am travelling and cannot check until some time tomorrow, but if some other kind soul can check the vbox case, please do so. They did work on vbox as recently as last week but the VM is new. I don't think the Mac might matter but it might.

If the other posted VM's work ok, the problem can be in the specification of the root device; if in grub you change it to
    root=/dev/sda1 instead of root=UUID=... there is a chance that could work, but I don' t really know.. I can test on Tuesday

• neiljsmithneiljsmith Posts: 6

coop, thanks for your response!

Hmm, I just tried that, but it yields me a "Warning: /dev/sda1 does not exist" message instead and the same Dracut Emergency Shell.

I note, in case it helps, that a couple of other lines in that grub config mention a specific UUID id - two lines starting "search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root [various options] [some UUID]"

Sorry, forgot to say - the Ubuntu 19 VM from the same directory (https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/VIRTUAL_MACHINE_IMAGES/Ubuntu-19-04.tar.xz) boots fine for me.

make sure you have right scsi driver. not sata. vbox screws up some times

Bingo!

Thanks so much, coop.

I swapped from attaching a SATA controller to SCSI, and it now boots first time!

great! With vmware, you attach to the .vmx file which specifies things like the disk controller, default RAM, number of CPUs etc (which you can always change). with vbox, you get only the disk image and the other parameters are set by virtual box (and can be changed) so we cannot really protect against taking wrong disk controller. VBOX has its own ideas and for some reason it takes a different one with centos than every other distribution for some bizarre reason (sometimes!)