Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

7.6 - kubectl get deployments, rs, pods -o yaml

errors in chapter 7 text.

kubectl get deployments, rs, pods -o yaml

I'm getting :

error: arguments in resource/name form must have a single resource and name

I've seen examples elsewhere where you can list out multiple output with commas but i can't find it again.

What should the correct syntax be ?

Comments

• sdburns
    sdburns Posts: 10

and again in 7.12.a

user@computer:~$ kubectl rollout history deployment/ghost deployments "ghost":
    error: there is no need to specify a resource type as a separate argument when passing arguments in resource/name f
    orm (e.g. 'kubectl get resource/' instead of 'kubectl get resource resource/'
    user@computer:~$ kubectl rollout history deployment/ghost deployments "ghost"
    error: there is no need to specify a resource type as a separate argument when passing arguments in resource/name f
    orm (e.g. 'kubectl get resource/' instead of 'kubectl get resource resource/'
    user@computer:~$ kubectl rollout history deployment/ghost
    deployments "ghost"
    REVISION CHANGE-CAUSE
    1 kubectl run ghost --image=ghost --record=true
    2 kubectl run ghost --image=ghost --record=true

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,147

Hi, I was not able to find this in the text, but I have seen this type of error before where there was some extra spacing between the resource types in the get command.
    There should be no spaces after the commas and the next resource type. It should be:
    kubectl get deployments,rs,pods -o yaml
    Regards,
    -Chris

• chrispokorni

From the second posting, it is not quite clear what is command and what is output, due to text formatting. The use of code box would help to troubleshoot.
    However, from the error, I assume kubectl expects only one of the resource and name pairs, either in this format:
    deployment/ghost
    or
    deployment ghost
    but not both.
    Regards,
    -Chris

• sdburns
    sdburns Posts: 10

thanks for confirming : that is the trouble with blank space, you can stare at it so long that you cant see it !

For the second one, the slide for 7.12a has the same issue as my post. (the command and the output have been mushed together)

it should read ....

Command :
    kubectl rollout history deployment/ghost

Output:
    deployments "ghost"
    REVISION CHANGE-CAUSE
    1 kubectl run ghost --image=ghost --record=true
    2 kubectl run ghost --image=ghost --record=true

• chrispokorni

Hi,
    Thanks for providing the slide number, it helped me find the issue you were referring to. You are correct, it seems that part of the output somehow ended up on the same line as the command itself. It seems to be another blank space issue - either too many or not enough blank space.
    This will be corrected in the next course update release.
    Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training