Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Live CD Knoppix

Options

Hi,

I am new and noob with burning and linux. I would like to make a Live CD of Knoppix, so I can boot from CD and don't have to install Linux on my computer yet.

Question 1: Which files do I need?

1)I go to www.knoppix.org

2)I click download

3)I choose download from ftp.knoppix.nl

4)I choose http cd (no dvd)

5)I download for example the file: KNOPPIX_V7.2.0CD-2013-06-16-EN.iso

Is that the right file?

6)But there are more files with the same name, but after .iso also extension

.md5 .md5.asc .sha1 .sha1.asc Do I also need these files?

Question 2: How do I burn a Live CD?

1)Can i directly burn an .iso file?

I don't think so

2)If I extract I get a folder with 3 folders: boot, efi, knoppix and 5 files

autorun, autorun.bat, autorun.inf, cdrom.ico, index.html

Can I just burn these files (700MB) on CD.

Grytchen

Comments

• saqman2060
    Options
    The reason you see multiple files is because there have been multiple iso images made spanning from 2001 to 2013. Whenever a new iso spin is made it is posted on the main download site with the version and date.

the file that you downloaded should work fine. The other files like the .MD5 and .Sha1 are used to confirm the iso is the authentic. This assures that you did not download a fake copy.
    You need to download these files, but is recommended that you check to make sure you have the right one.

What version of linux do you have; ubuntu, fedora, mint, debian..etc?

Ubuntu has a native program that will allow you to burn iso files. Xubuntu have xfburn, Ubuntu has bresaro or usb-startup. You can download both from the repositories. If you are using windows you can download, inetbootin: inetbootin

You do not have to extract anything. Just download and burn.
  • immobilier
    immobilier Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hello,

I think installing Knoppix to a USB Flash Drive in Windows will more easy :

1- Download and run our Universal USB Installer, select KNOPPIX and follow the onscreen instructions
    2- Reboot your PC and set your system BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device, save your changes and reboot
    3- Upon reboot, you should be running Knoppix from your USB memory stick.
    Follow the onscreen prompts during boot to make an encrypted persistent overlay.

Categories

Upcoming Training