Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Do I need Drivers?

zyanni
zyanni Posts: 3

Do I need Drivers????

Motherboard Driver installation disk won't run,( I can see the files on the cd ). Drivers on Gigabytes website are for Windows OS. Should I install the Windows drivers for this board? If so which version? Driver Manager in Linux Mint 17 doesn't do anything on my machine when I open it? Everything seems to work, including printer, internet, and dual monitors.

Installed Mint 17 on new build with Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard with UEFI, Intel i5 processor with intel graphics on board, Samsung 128 gig SSD, on 39" Samsung TV. Partitioned with a small UFI boot, Root partition, and Home partition, (No Swap)( See screenshot). Had no problems installing with "other method". Incredible speed and stable.

Only two problems so far...

1- Computer restarts itself after I shut down.

Do I need to do something with ACPI..can't find it in the bios settings. Looked under the Power settings.

2- Can't add some apps to favorites menu and can't move apps around in favorites menu.

Hopefully that is just a bug that hasn't been fixed yet.

Has not installing any Drivers the reason the computer restarts itself? Will I have any more problems due to lack of Drivers?

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    Everything seems to work, including printer, internet, and dual monitors.

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Linux Works differently from Windows. Many "drivers" are included in the Kernel so you don't need to install them separately.

The two "drivers" you most commonly have to install are - video card - and wifi. ...But if everything seems OK just leave it.

Categories

Upcoming Training