Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Minimum Hardware Needed to start learning Linux

Options

Hello,

Being new to Linux I've been wondering what is the suggested minimum setup needed to start playing with and learning Linux.

First a little background.

I have a chance at a job doing web hosting and while I have a background in programming with Basic, Fortran, Cobol, C, C++ and some HTML they want me to play with Linux and get some experience with it before interviewing me for a position, I'm guessing they want to wait a few months at the least. Anyway, I've been thinking about trying to pick up a used computer so I can install Linux and start going over the areas they want me to gain experience on and have looked at Craigslist but I'm not sure what type of system to concentrate on. I know there are lots of inexpensive used computers out there and figured it would be best to check with people that have used it and could recommend a good second computer solely for messing with Linux and getting used to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    You can easily install a linux based distribution into a virtual machine using virtulbox or dual boot a physical installation alongside of windows.

However if you wish to have another machine the best general requirements at this time are 1GB+ of RAM, and at least a 1 Gig processor.

Along those lines there are several embedded or ARM based boards that can run Arm based linux such as the $35 raspberry pi. Even though you would not get server type performance from an embedded it is a cheap and highly functional way to implement a Linux based machine. Some people have setup raspberry pis as network service servers, web servers, home media computers, etc...

I personally have an amd 6100 based desktop, an i7 based laptop, a 1.6G centrino based laptop, a 1G intel based chromebook and a raspberry pi all running Linux based operating systems for specific uses and users.

Categories

Upcoming Training