[WORK-AROUND] cannot ssh from host to LFS201 CentOS vm
I've just completed my work-around for this issue, and have documented my solution below. It's not ideal, since I'd like to be working with the VM provided for this course, but this gets the job done for me:
- ON HOST - Download the minimal iso from CentOS directly (https://centos.org/download/)
- ON HOST - create a new virual machine in VirtualBox with the iso
- ON HOST - set up network as NAT (default behavior)
- ON HOST - setup port forwarding from Host 2223 to Guest 22
- ON HOST - under Settings > System > Processor, set processors to 2
- ON GUEST - enable networking by editing
- ON GUEST - restart networking via systemctl
- ON GUEST - confirm openssh-server is installed
- ON GUEST - confirm sshd is running
- ON GUEST - confirm ssh to localhost is successful
- ON HOST -
SUCCESSFUL ACCESS OVER SSH!
ssh [email protected] -p 2223
- ON GUEST - run the ready-for.sh script provided by the Linux Foundation (https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/prep/?course=LFS201) to install software and confirm hardware configuration
- Do a little dance
From what I've fonund, the CentOS VM (possibly others as well? haven't tried them yet) is not provided to the students in such a way to allow access over ssh.
Hello all! I've been trying to figure this out, and no luck...
My goal is to ssh from my local machine to the CentOS VM provided for LFS201. My local machine is running Ubuntu 17.10, and I'm using Virutalbox Version 5.2.8 r121009 (Qt5.9.1).
Things I've checked on the VM itself:
- sshd is running, confirmed via systemctl and via ssh'ing from the vm itself to localhost (doing `ssh localhost` works just fine)
- firewalld allows ssh, confirmed via `firewalld-cmd --list-services`
- iptables is NOT running
- no mention of an SSH attempt in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure
[[email protected] ~]$ uname -a
Linux CentOS7 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 19:03:37 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[[email protected] ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core)
Things I've checked on VirtualBox:
- Networking is setup over NAT
- Port forwarding is enabled via `VBoxManage showvminfo lfcs | grep ssh
NIC 1 Rule(0): name = ssh, protocol = tcp, host ip = 127.0.0.1, host port = 2222, guest ip = 10.10.2.15, guest port = 22`
Here's what happens when I try to ssh:
`ssh -p 2222 [email protected]
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer`
Any thoughts on what I'm missing?