Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Newbie - Picasa Alternative (scans hard-disk for images)..?

Options

Is there a program that can automatically scan hard-drive for images & display them in some sort of 'manager' WITHOUT having to keep track & add folders/ image files manually?

If not, please still recommend a decent 'manager' for images... more for viewing than editing...

Thanks.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    edited November 2012
    Options
    My favorite photo management app is digikam (http://www.digikam.org/), it provides far more functionality than picasa including the scanning. You should be able to find it in the repos for your chosen distro.
  • arochester
    Options
    I think the Windows version of Picasa still installs under Wine?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    I second mfilpot's recommendation of Digikam. While it doesn't scan the whole disk for photos, it's easy to point it and collect photos from any folder.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    installations through wine in my experience are a very weak solution. Wine attempts to allow windows apps to run on linux based system by using libraries to bridge the OS difference, however those are not the original windows libraries and all apps are best attempt, I have not yet experienced a single program that worked the same without additional issues.

Categories

Upcoming Training