Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

AvLinux - nVidia GeForce560 HDMI - No Sound

Elvis
Elvis Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Getting Started with Linux

My system: Asus p8z68deluxe/gen3 w/Intel i7 chip and 16gb of ram, also a wd sata drv 1tband a dvd/bluray writer cd player and anVidia GeForce560 GTX Ti 1040 Graphics Card using the HDMI for Video and Sound going thru my Pioneer Receiver for speakers. Could the motherboard be a problem?

Operating system: DualBoot; Windows 7 and AV-Linux 5.0.3, But the only way I could get av5 to boot off the CD or to Install on my hard drive was to enter thisbit of code “pci=noacpi acpi=off”without the quotation marks, why? I would like to know, But it works. Because of the code, do I not have my pci slots.

The Problem is av5, I have NO SOUND and av5 can't see the CD player, also av5 can't see my network printer HP Office jet pro 8600 plus

Windows on thee other hand works great,and that's what my wife likes to use for her stuff.

I gave up my Apple and ProTools because I saw Ardour and liked what I saw. But?

I have some logs on "http://pastebin.com/u/Elvisb"

Thanks

Elvis

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I'm not familiar with AV-Linux, but, when I hook my Fedora laptop to my TV using the HDMI connection, I have to make adjustments to PulseAudio. I don;t know if AV uses PulseAudio, but, if it does, bring up the PulseAudio Manager and make sure the Output device is pointed to the correctly. It seems to stay pointed to the default internal audio and you have to change the device to one of the HDMI settings yourself.

Hope this helped.
    Tom
  • Elvis
    Elvis Posts: 2
    Using PulseAudio will not work for me due to the fact that I use multi tracking for sound and PulseAudio does not handle multi tracking properly. I'm a musician and I use Ardour for recording all are tracks for mixing down our songs.
    I do want to thank you for getting back to me, it looks like this site is not big on helping or is it because I have one of those problems that is so difficult. or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.
    Well thanks for getting back to me.

Just to let you know I have made some progress and I do have some sound. But I also have other problels to over come, like, it can't see my CD/DVD/BluRay deive, or my network printer. So I still have some work cut out forr me.
    Elvis
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I'm sorry about the lack of responses. Your problem is unique, but, not unanswerable. Unfortunately, I don't know any of the mods or forum members that use hardware as you do. That, and the fact that Linux.com forums were down for a few months at the end of last year because of the security breach, we now have many fewer forum members than we used to. Thus, we lost many of our experts.

While we try to answer as many problems as we can, and, still have quite a few experts helping, we can no longer address every problem, or address them as quickly as we used to.

Feel free to visit and share your knowledge as we rebuild the forums to their former glory. We can use the help, and, if you do solve your problem, please let us know how, so, others who visit can gain from your problem solving.

Thanks again for visiting and responding.

Tom
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    You might try posting on www.linuxforums.org - it is one of the most active Linux forums / help sites I know of. I am very active there as well as here, and there are a LOT of really good experts on all aspects of Linux, including audio stuff.

In any case, as you have surmised, the kernel options "pci=noacpi acpi=off" may be the issue here. I have also seen a lot of problems with Linux dealing with HDMI audio. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't... :-( Sorry that I can't be of more help here!

Categories

Upcoming Training