Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

mint supports Access Point devices or not?

Options
seekinwhite
seekinwhite Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in Network Management

hi guys...couple of months ago ive tested ubuntu...only for couple of minutes. tell you why.

after ive installed it with auto detection of AP wireless devices....ive entered terminal for "sudo pppoeconf" command(cause i have pppoe my type of internet) and my internet was ok...till i restart the PC to loose it forever.

then i was lost and i quit linux. yesterday ive tested linux mint 12 from stick....detection of AP is positive....every time....but...ive installed it...and installed no detection at all !!!!

when i boot from installed linux...it says on blank screen "waiting on network...then 60seconds....then without at all"

i have 10 years of "windows" and i want linux....but without internet is like without PC....please help me....

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Mint is an Ubuntu-derived distribution, and Ubuntu does not support proprietary drivers by default (ditto Mint), even though their live CD/DVD's do (so you can see that they work). You need to go to the System/Administration/Hardware Drivers entry to find/install the needed drivers/firmware for your WiFi device if necessary - all Broadcom devices are such. Since I am not running Unbuntu (or other Debian-derived distributions) now, it may be in System/Preferences - can't remember exactly... :-( :-)

If that doesn't help, check out www.linuxwireless.org - they have documentation and driver/firmware download links for just about any WiFi device known. That's how I got WiFi working on my Dell D630 laptop when I switched to Scientific Linux 6.1 (a clone of RHEL 6.1).
  • seekinwhite
    Options
    Ohh thank you so much man you've been clearly with my problem. Now i finally understand my type of problem. So i will search and find my driver in my installed linux. I'll be back with news about, tnx.
  • seekinwhite
    Options
    im back with my problem half solved i think.

my laptop is acer aspire 5310 (atheros AR5007EG.....BROADCOM BCM43....Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M)
    i downloaded the "compat-wireless-3.2-rc6-3.tar" from http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download/
    hope is the correct kit needed....but how to install it on linux....and where? says to extract and
    install it where is none space i dont know. ive attached a photo with "what to do"
    please help me i want internet on my linux...to search other problems there.

(my HDD is 80gb....partition C is 20gb....partition D is 30gb...and linux is on a partition with
    the rest of 30gb....when i boot on linux he see my C and D but his partition is named "file system"
    and i dont know if is something i missed here i can provide you details to solve my problem)

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Since the wifi card is broadcom mint support the drivers in their repo, so you should not have to compile them from the source. The tutorial at http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/379 should guide you to the correct resolution.

Categories

Upcoming Training