Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Please recommend a fast linux distribution

Options

Hello,I tried several distributions from most types of enviroments and I can't seem to find one that can make me move out from XP.

The last I tried was Lubuntu 11.10 it seemed to be the most lightest version of Lubuntu but still not faster than Xp.

I did a little comparison.

I took an audio file of 458 MB and transfered from Destktop to Home/Videos and it took 17:37 seconds while in XP from desktop to my documents it took 17:34 seconds and I also had Avast antivirus installed.

Eventaully I come back at Xp for performance.

Perhaps some advice?

Comments

• Crisshomes
    Options
    My specs are
    AMD Athlon x64 3000+ 1.8Ghz ,1GB ram,300 GB HDD and 512MB Ati radeon.
  • Crisshomes
    Options
    Its 17 seconds and 37 miliseconds.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Your comparing the data transfer speed of a windows file system to that of a journaling Linux file system, that doesn't need to be defragged and can hold over 4GB of data, and, the 3 milliseconds difference brings you back to XP? It doesn't make much sense.
  • Crisshomes
    Options
    Does Cool and quiet work well in Lubuntu or should I disable it from bios?
  • Deadcrow
    Options
    You should think about buying a SSD.
  • Crisshomes
    Options
    Why?
    I only said if I should leave the cool and quiet option on or off in linux.
  • Deadcrow
    Options
    The performance you compare here is based on your hard drive, not on different OS. If you want more performance in data transfers then buy a faster hard drive.
    If you want to compare the performance of 2 different OS then you should try a benchmark instead.
  • Crisshomes
    Options
    The point is I am okay with Xp's transfer rate so my hard drive is fine,don't know if its the same for most linux distro.
    I don't mean to be offensive but I just want to know if its worth the change.
  • saqman2060
    Options
    It is worth taking a look at.
  • Goineasy9
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You really have to look at the different filesystems that are in use under Linux. If you are installing a recent distro, which, by default, would use the ext3 or ext4 filesystem, your transfer rates would be just a bit slower than using ext2. Why? Because ext3 and ext4 are journaling file systems, whereas ext2 isn't. I haven't heard of any complaints from users about transfer rates, unless they are using some personally modified file structure, or, they have incorrectly modified config files that deal with the setup of their file systems.
    Anyway, the advantages of Linux file systems would far outweigh the milliseconds of lost transfer rates, if in fact your comparing Linux files systems with equal features as those of Microsoft.
    As far as cool and quiet, I'm assuming this is one of the motherboard features that some manufacturers such as Asus have. I use Asus motherboards and have never used these features. You can control power settings from within the Linux OS, so I don't really have a use for them.
  • Crisshomes
    Options
    I understand,do I have to delete this post or someone has to lock it?
  • Goineasy9
    Options
    No need to do either, it is here so others can refer back to it, or add to it if they feel the need.
  • Crisshomes
    Options
    Well I don't need aymore info besides I don't like to get the same answers all over again by other users.
  • saqman2060
    Options
    Well I hope things work out for you. But yes, faster hard drive and use the EXT2 filesystem.

Categories

Upcoming Training