Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Gnome3 & Unity

RickSMO
RickSMO Posts: 123

Is gnome trying to be like Unity now, or is Unity trying to be like the "new" gnome. Because they seem like coke or pepsi similar at this point.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Unity was built on Gnome2 and was released prior to Gnome3. They have similar functions, but the interaction and amount of usable screen space is different. As far as I am concerned unity is superior because it has been more stable during my tests.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Unity has its benefits as I am finding out. One of the problems I have with it on my system is that it increases the time for application to load.

lg2011_badge.png
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    LOL, I like the Coke vs. Pepsi analogy. After looking at Gnome3 I switched back to KDE (Mountain Dew?). Both Gnome 3 and Unity are in their infancy, they're purpose, I suppose, is to dumb down the Desktop so to attract "typical" users. For me, neither is a desktop solution, but one that would work on a tablet or smart phone. I'm glad Linux gives us choices, if it didn't, my analogies would require beverages with high alcohol content.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    LOL, I like the Coke vs. Pepsi analogy. After looking at Gnome3 I switched back to KDE (Mountain Dew?). Both Gnome 3 and Unity are in their infancy, they're purpose, I suppose, is to dumb down the Desktop so to attract "typical" users. For me, neither is a desktop solution, but one that would work on a tablet or smart phone. I'm glad Linux gives us choices, if it didn't, my analogies would require beverages with high alcohol content.

I've never liked GNOME much as it tends to tell you how to do things. If you wanna change something is almost impossible.

All of the other WM/DE I've used are *VERY FLEXIBLE*. All but GNOME/UNITY that is. Have a look at fluxbox, enlightenment,openbox,awesome, XFCE.... whatever you choose you'll see that you have plenty of options. That is not the case in GNOME anymore.

That's why I do not like it, at all.

Besides, KDE is so beautifull... :P

Regards
  • RickSMO wrote:
    ...GNOME 3...
    ...Unity...

Goineasy9 wrote:
    LOL, I like the Coke vs. Pepsi analogy.

Oh, look.
    New Coke.

Categories

Upcoming Training