Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

installing & running Ubuntu

toros8
toros8 Posts: 1

I'm new to linux but would like to try it very much. I want to load & run it from an external HDD. Will it boot from There?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I don't see any reason for it not to run from an external hard drive. You will want to tell ubuntu during the installation to put the boot loader on the external hard drive and when you want to run it you will have to tell your computer to boot from an external-HDD.

Or a simpler method for windows users is to use the Ubuntu windows installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer) which will install it within a windows partition and allow you to easily remove it if you don't like it.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    toros8 wrote:
    I'm new to linux but would like to try it very much. I want to load & run it from an external HDD. Will it boot from There?

You can boot from it of your computer allows booting from a removable device, which is what your system will recognize it as. You enable this option from your system bios or from the boot-screen. B)
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    a easier way to simply give Linux a try might be to use a Live CD, otherwise i'd recommend a dual boot on the system your actually going to be using. External hard drives are meant for storage, not running operating systems.

Categories

Upcoming Training