Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

choosing a distributor

Options

Choosing a distributor: we currently going to work with 'Xilinx' FPGA. We are looking for a good and recommended OS that can be installed on embedded systems and have a good support. Also real-time features might be needed during run.

Can you recommend me good distributor?

P.S

Android can be one of the choices?

Lior

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, but, when I hear embedded Linux, I think the Yocto project. You can check out the link here:
    http://www.yoctoproject.org/about
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Because embedded systems require very tight memory and hardware requirements you will not find a distribution that will just work on your hardware. You will need to perform some research and development to build a specialized Linux kernel and your required software to fit the specific architecture and hardware needs.

Checkout the yocto project as GoingEasy9 recommended, they are working on scripts that will simplify building a custom Linux based operating system for embedded systems. The only way you can make it easier on yourself would be if you hire a developer to do the work for you.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Debian is commonly used for embedded Linux. I use Debian Etch on an ARM board I do R&D on. It's the device drivers for all the embedded stuff (fpga, flash, I/O controllers, etc) that's hard, so I generally recommend using the distribution that your board vendor recommends and/or provides since they will likely have that source available for you in order to configure and build your kernel for your needs. FWIW, Etch runs on my 64MB board, boots in under 1.5 seconds, and still has over 50MB for application code and data after mounting remote nfs file systems and all the ethernet, usb, and I/O hardware drivers.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Options
    All comments reported here are valid and useful but I'd like to add my opinion as well.
    You've opted (or you're opting) for XILINX, maybe because you're interested in a Field Programmable Gate Array devices, I don't know what kind of field you're going to cover with your embedded solution but before taking a decision it could be useful to understand what kind of product you're trying to do.
    First of all take a look at hardware specs and what's available in your reference target market, choose two/three hw platforms and then concentrate on the OS later on. Linux is a common choice nowadays but it's not the only one, it's obviously my favorite when it's possible (like Woboyle with his ARM boards), sometimes other solutions are preferred. Sometimes VxWorks is better than Linux, sometimes it's not, someone argues about better performances for Windows CE but I don't want to go on with it, I don't like it and I don't wanna start a flame war.
    I've worked with SoC (System on a Chip) devices on BGA packages and I've used Axis devices (ETRAX in my case), they're excellent for particular applications (media stream handling), maybe they suck if I use them for heavy disk I/O operations where an ARM device (or an Atom) may perform better. I've never worked with a Gate Array or with VHDL stuff (even if it's a cool thing where I'd like to invest more time), but xilinx it's an important player in that particular field.
    Just to be sure take an overall decision on what kind of hardware you may use, then take a look at various manufacturers, they certainly have some sort of Linux port.
    You may find "mainstream embedded linux ports" on general purpose devices but if you're "going deep" with particular hardware (telco motherboards, metro fibre hubs, two way radio systems, ...) it's quite common to have a customized linux distro. I'll definitively stay with mainstream distro (Debian, OpenWRT, Android ?, Yocto ?) when possible but sometimes you cannot use them.

Categories

Upcoming Training