Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Distro Choices

Okay so I have a computer that has a 800 mhz processor and a 32mb graphics card. I have tried multiple distros and most of them have issues running on that graphics card. Puppy Linux and Ubuntu can't run functionally, due to the screen going haywire. SliTaz is too small to see. Bohdi Linux is the only one that has worked, but I would like something faster. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have been playing with Arch Linux for a while and am impressed by the memory and cpu footprint. You can try installing Arch and giving it a light-weight window manager.
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    It's a Dell Inspiron 8000. It might be comparable to the C400. So which light weight manager should I use? I'm in the dark as far as arch goes lol.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    in general windows managers such as xfve, openbox, blockbox, or tiling window managers take a minimal load on a system. When playing with arch in a virtual machine I was running a basic arch linux setup with the i3 window manager and I was only using less than 100m of RAM.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Lman wrote:
    It's a Dell Inspiron 8000. It might be comparable to the C400. So which light weight manager should I use? I'm in the dark as far as arch goes lol.

I would suggest fluxbox although there are many others to chose ;)
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    arochester wrote:
    Does your computer have a Make and Model or is it just a Whitebox? What is the Graphics Card?

I have 2 Dell C400 laptops which have problems because of the Intel video. The distro that works best for me, out-of-the-box, is Aptosid. I am fairly sure that their kernel is based on Liquorix.

As a former Debian Sid user, I used aptosid when it was called sidux. Many users switch to using the Liquorix kernel because of restrictions incorporated into the default aptosid kernel. BTW - if you mention Liquorix in their forums or on IRC you'll get a response similar to bumping into a beehive. Just an FYI.

As for the topic, it seems like you have a much older computer which restricts your choice of distro, especially if your looking for speed. AntiX, which is a spin-off of Mepis does well on older computers. Link below:

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=antix&month=all&year=all

There's also Puppy, which just had a release today, link below:

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=puppy&month=all&year=all
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    I would also suggest running AntiX with the fluxbox window manager. Very light weight and easy on system resources.

Categories

Upcoming Training