Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

what would be a good beginners book for linux?

I know little about computers but i want to learn. So I am making it my mission this summer to improve my computer skills;therefore, I would like to get one maybe two books to help me with this.I want to start by getting a book on linux. So whatever books you think are good for a beginner let me know. I appreciate your help, thank you.

Comments

• Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    They have a LOT of books advertised on distrowatch. All they really are is links to amazon. You could look on there.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I haven't been home to give you exact titles, but, if you Google O'Reilly and Linux you will come up with a very nice collection of useful Linux books. I'll be home tonight and give you specific titles.
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    It all depends on what you realy want to learn.

There is a lot of usefull information online, you can find some usefull free books here:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux (Check out the Linux Guide)

There is a lot of books you can chek some out here:
    http://oreilly.com/pub/topic/linux

I think Running Linux, Fifth Edition is a good place to start.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    With all of the books that I have read, the one that (briefly) covered the most topics and inspired me to learn more was Linux annoyances for geeks (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596008017/). Beyond that book, the subjects are quite in-depth, so knowing exactly which topics you want to cover will lead you to the books that will be the most valuable to you.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Hey Matt

I never saw the "Linux annoyances for geeks" book, I'm going to have to check it out. I still like my "Linux in a nutshell" from O'Reilly. It's still the first place I look for info.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    I also like the "linux in a nutshell" from barnes and noble. Lately I have been reading the "ubuntu" book that covers the latest ubuntu distro. I have learned alot from that book.

I does depend on what subject of linux you want to learn. I would say look into the O'Reilly books and "Sams teach yourself" books.
  • brunewarren
    brunewarren Posts: 14
    It depends. If you're a beginner, I found that DVDs by UNIX Academy are better than any book for a beginner I tried, it takes you up to the speed in few days. For more advanced subjects I found book by Evi Nemeth "Administrator Handbook" is the best. I'm very good on Windows, I know it deep down to its guts, but I was pretty new to Linux until just few weeks ago. The DVDs are an amazing shortcut for learning all the basics. It solves a problem of been stumbled upon many basic issues. The DVDs teach many commands and explain how all the stuff works together. For more advanced learning, Evi's book is the best. You get very easy to read guidance on practically every advanced subject.

Categories

Upcoming Training