Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

Vanillux

VanilluxVanillux Posts: 5

Hi,

this post is to inform the interested of a new distribution in the making project Vanillux!

Here are some of the hightlights (more available on vanillux.org):

  • We are using APT but intend to build our own packages and have our own repository!
  • We are a rolling release
  • We use Gnome3
  • We support KVM as our main Hypervisor
  • We try to keep the base install as simple as possible

We are looking for voloteers

Thank you

vanillux.org

Comments

  • mfillpotmfillpot Posts: 2,180
    Thank you for sharing your project here, your site is simple and easily displays your worklist. Thanks to your organization and planning I will be watching your project to see where I can help.
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    Vanillux wrote:
    Hi,

    this post is to inform the interested of a new distribution in the making project Vanillux!

    Here are some of the hightlights (more available on vanillux.org):
    • We are using APT but intend to build our own packages and have our own repository!
    • We are a rolling release
    • We use Gnome3
    • We support KVM as our main Hypervisor
    • We try to keep the base install as simple as possible
    We are looking for voloteers

    Thank you

    vanillux.org

    What does it offer the users different from say...Archlinux?
  • jabiralijabirali Posts: 157
    Good luck with the project guys, this sounds interesting :)

    marc wrote:
    What does it offer the users different from say...Archlinux?
    vanillux.org wrote:
    With Cannonical & Mark Shuttleworth dropping Gnome for Unity, there is a strong need in the market for a debian/buntu-based Gnome3 linux distribution. This is where Vanillux comes in play, for now it will be a minimal Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome3, VLC, Chrome and LibreOffice.
    This seems to indicate that the target audience is mainly people who want something that is quick to get up and running, and thereafter requires somewhat low maintenance. I think these design goals makes Vanillux more of a rolling-release alternative to Ubuntu and Mint, than competition to ArchLinux. There aren't too many distributions in this niche with rolling release package management, so this sounds like a good thing :)
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it...
  • jabiralijabirali Posts: 157
    marc wrote:
    I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it...
    Well, six years ago, what was the difference between Ubuntu and installing Debian with Gnome 2 on it?

    I think it's healthy for the GNU/Linux ecosystem to have new distributions pop up now and then. If they target existing niches, a bit of extra competition should help keep the innovation going. If it targets a non-mainstream niche, that's probably another itch scratched for a lot of users. So if someone wants to do the work, either due to some irritation or just for fun, then why not? :)
  • mfillpotmfillpot Posts: 2,180
    jabirali wrote:
    marc wrote:
    I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it...
    Well, six years ago, what was the difference between Ubuntu and installing Debian with Gnome 2 on it?

    I think it's healthy for the GNU/Linux ecosystem to have new distributions pop up now and then. If they target existing niches, a bit of extra competition should help keep the innovation going. If it targets a non-mainstream niche, that's probably another itch scratched for a lot of users. So if someone wants to do the work, either due to some irritation or just for fun, then why not? :)

    I agree with Jibrali, this project is in it's infancy, the developers may decide on a change to their original goal that may make it a valuable contender in the market.

    I am personally hoping to see if this project can really do a true vanilla install and if they are able to take some of the automation out of ubuntu that has always annoyed me. Most likely if i join their project it won't take over as my primary Os, but it would be a fun experience to help them.
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    You get me wrong guys. I'm in no way against this project ;)

    The thing is that this is not really offering anything concrete rather than just a small change to an Ubuntu installation.

    In my experience a project like this needs to *FOCUS* in something and not just offering GNOME3 and KVM, you should give something special or you won't succeed
  • LmanLman Posts: 52
    Well regardless I commend them. As soon as it comes out I will definitely test it and if it's a good desktop with a decent GUI, no reason not to test it out in my opinion :)
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    Lman wrote:
    Well regardless I commend them. As soon as it comes out I will definitely test it and if it's a good desktop with a decent GUI, no reason not to test it out in my opinion :)

    "When something works don't touch it... unless the change gives you significant improvement"

    That's what I say!

    I usually don't just install a new distro and spend hours doing the same things I do on my current system. Unless it has something worth having ;)

    But, if you have time...definitely go for it! :)

    Regards
  • VanilluxVanillux Posts: 5
    What does it offer the users different from say...Archlinux?


    We use APT and intend to have an easy install process with a basic simple desktop instalation process (do that with arch - gnome 3 desktop running under 1hr and without typing 1000 characters on your keyboard)
  • VanilluxVanillux Posts: 5
    I still don't see the difference between this and setting a PPA for Ubuntu with Gnome 3 on it...
    We will have a pre-configured gnome3 desktop working

    OH and we arent gonna break it in 6 months
  • VanilluxVanillux Posts: 5
    In my experience a project like this needs to *FOCUS* in something and not just offering GNOME3 and KVM, you should give something special or you won't succeed
    Hi,

    You are right a project like this needs focus,

    For now our goal is to get a working desktop with gnome3
    After that we want to make sure we have easy to install packages of applications (the vanillux-desktop being the main one with gnome3, chromium, VLC and not much else)(for example we will also have the office suite package (optional but offered on install), the lamp stack...

    And now come KVM (i really should have explained myself better im sorry), We intend to have one desktop virtualisation package, easy like virtualbox but base on KVM), this is all i meant.

    Thank you
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    Vanillux wrote:

    And now come KVM (i really should have explained myself better im sorry), We intend to have one desktop virtualisation package, easy like virtualbox but base on KVM), this is all i meant.

    Thank you

    That sounds interesting :)
  • saqman2060saqman2060 Posts: 777
    This sounds like an interesting project. I wanted to use Gnome3 for ubuntu but the latest version(11.04) using unity. However, i agree, you need a catch to your project. Do not creating a whole new OS for thing that can simply installed on the user's end. You opened my eyes when you said you were going ti install a desktop VM package based in KVM.

    Try not to make the OS ubuntu like. You will just be recreating the same thing. Found out what users are frustrated with and use that as the focal point. When I get my internet service back, I will try to help out. I do think you are on the right track creating a distro that is as easy to use as ubuntu or based on debain.
  • VanilluxVanillux Posts: 5
    Hi again,

    So i would like tp say that we have to a testing distro together. We have yet to make a CD, we are working on that amongst other things.

    Until we make such a CD, we would like to offer the following installation instructions:
    http://wiki.vanillux.org/wiki/HOW-TO_Install_Vanillux

    Also i would like to again say that we are still looking for more volunteers, mostly people with knowledge with debian-cd/debian-installer, DAK and apt programmers.

    Thank you

    Will update again on release of CD's
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    Vanillux wrote:
    Hi again,

    So i would like tp say that we have to a testing distro together. We have yet to make a CD, we are working on that amongst other things.

    Until we make such a CD, we would like to offer the following installation instructions:
    http://wiki.vanillux.org/HOW-TO_Install_Vanillux

    Also i would like to again say that we are still looking for more volunteers, mostly people with knowledge with debian-cd/debian-installer, DAK and apt programmers.

    Thank you

    Will update again on release of CD's

    The links isn't working :(
Sign In or Register to comment.