Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New user questions

Hello I became interested in linux after I fixed a neighbors netbook that had some problems. I temporarily installed xp but will need to switch this out. I had heard of linux and thought I would install it for them,but that was before I even knew about the mutiple distributions. So my questions are: what would be best to install for someone that probably doesn't even know about linux and is used to windows ,and how do know if I can find, and where can I find the necessary drivers. The netbook is a Sylvania Meso with an ATOM n450 1.66GHz cpu and I think the Graphics is intel N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller,512 MB RAM. Thank you.

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Some example that will 99% work out of the box:

Linux Mint
    Ubuntu
    Opensuse
    Fedora

Probably you won't need to look for any drivers at all
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Specifically, it appears that the Ubuntu Netbook Remix 8.04 works well on it.
    http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/03/a-linux-netbook-done-the-right.html
  • Izzz
    Izzz Posts: 7
    Thank you for the responses.

@marc
    Wich one of those would a windows user find easiest to become accustomed to.
    Also I did try running Ubuntu off a thumb drive everything seemed to work except the wi-fi connection. It detected the network said I was connected but when I clicked on the Firefox icon nothing happened ,no error message ,nothing. I also read that the most current version of Ubuntu should have at least 1GB of memory. This netbook only has 512 MB and I dont think the user will be upgrading.

@atreyu
    Unfortunately I believe that is an older version of this netbook so Im not entirely certain if everything will work quite the same. Also I believe that the netbook edition has been merged with the current Ubuntu 11.04 release.

Thank you for all answers.:)
  • atreyu
    Yes, it appears you're right about that - sorry, I didn't realize. That's good they did that, though. Also, check out PCLinuxOS for a Linux distro that is friendly to Windows users.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Izzz wrote:
    @marc
    Wich one of those would a windows user find easiest to become accustomed to.
    Also I did try running Ubuntu off a thumb drive everything seemed to work except the wi-fi connection. It detected the network said I was connected but when I clicked on the Firefox icon nothing happened ,no error message ,nothing. I also read that the most current version of Ubuntu should have at least 1GB of memory. This netbook only has 512 MB and I dont think the user will be upgrading.

Thank you for all answers.:)

I personally would suggest OpenSuse.

Although if the suer is a bit "curious" or "resolutive" he'd be fine with any of those :)

Regards
  • Izzz
    Izzz Posts: 7
    So, I have had some success. I am typing this from the computer with PCLinuxOS KDE Desktop installed. Unfortunately I'm also having some problems. Overall the OS seems a tad sluggish, online videos play but are very choppy, and there is no sound for anything.
    I was also wondering if any of the distros made specifically for netbooks are any good,such as EasyPeasy.

Thanks
  • atreyu
    I'd be surprised if the sound card is not supported. Have you attempted to find ways to turn up the volume using desktop tools? I'm not that familiar w/PCLinuxOS, but I think they have a speaker icon in the lower right corner of the system panel. There might be a System > Preferences (or something) entry for sound/multimedia in the start panel, also.

As for sluggishness, in my experience, the Live version of any Linux distro is always more sluggish when compared to its installed version. For the most part (for me) the Live version is usually meant to just get you introduced to the distro, or help you in an emergency.

I've never tried it, but Linux Mint is heavily billed as a distro that *just works*, especially when it comes to multimedia.

Categories

Upcoming Training