Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

imac power pc g3

I own an imac power pc g3, I am trying to find an os that is suitable for this computer. Currently using yellow dog 6.2, could you reccomend an os that is suitable for my mac? I am fed up with osx it is worthless in my book. Also is thier a way to either mount an iso to my cd drive and install it that way? The drive is broken and will not accept a disk all the way into it gets halfway then gets stuck, however i am not concerned with this at the moment. Could I extract the iso file and install that way? I am lookin for some help with this I have been to numerous fourms trying to figure this out, keep getting told to boot from usb, however mac power pc will NOT boot from usb. Any advice would be helpfull with this issue.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Since Apple stopped using PowerPC, the architecture is not as well supported as it used to be, You can find a list of distros that use PowerPC at http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=powerpc&status=Active

Since your CDrom is broken and usbboot does not work, I recommend looking into either a network boot and installation or using your included bootloader to launch the installer which I can help with, but to boot and install from your active HD you must first have available space and remember that the disk space being used by the installer cannot be overwritten by the installation process.
  • tsmith8906
    tsmith8906 Posts: 10
    Oh man this has helped with my problems, cant even begin to explain. Thank you so much for the advice. I am trying the network intall now. Thank again.:)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    tsmith8906 wrote:
    Oh man this has helped with my problems, cant even begin to explain. Thank you so much for the advice. I am trying the network intall now. Thank again.:)

The network installation can be difficult because you need to have a bios that supports network book boot, then setup your router to point to a bootp server, setup a bootp server to offer the installer and finally have and ftp site available to retrieve the packages.

It would be far easier to break into the box and see what kind of cd-rom is included so you can buy a replacement to install by cd.
  • mpalmeruk
    mpalmeruk Posts: 26
    Hi,

I agree with mfillpot would be better to source a replacement cd drive from ebay, unless thats not an option for you?

not too sure on PPC G3 arch and if it supports Target disk mode but if it does...

If you have another mac, you could try starting the broken one in target disk mode so that it appears on the desktop of the 'other' mac. If your using OSX you could then use something like 'dd' and install the OS as an image (SuSE have suse studio which allows you to create your OS online and then download the HD image to push to a disk device.

Hope that helps.

Categories

Upcoming Training