Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

Best Linux-based eBook Reader

Recently, I have received several non-DRM O'Reilly Media eBooks from family members for my birthday. While I can read them on my laptop screen, there are times when I would appreciate the ability to read my manuals and reference texts in a more portable fashion. Can anyone here recommend a resilient, Linux-based eBook reader for viewing ePub and PDF texts?

Comments

  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    I've got a Kindle (6") and it's awesome for reading books but *not* for pdf. For that you'll need a bigger screen (kindle 10"?).

    Anyway, don't expect any ebook reader good for reading pdf papers or long documentation, the screen is just way too slow for that (technology limitations, ya know).

    I must say though that I'm not buying any book in Amazon as they come with DRM. You can use Calibre for converting ebooks and managing your collection :D

    Regards
  • woboylewoboyle Posts: 501
    My android phone can read epub files just fine, and Linux systems can also Here is one site: http://www.jedisaber.com/ebooks/Readers.asp
  • marc wrote:
    Anyway, don't expect any ebook reader good for reading pdf papers or long documentation, the screen is just way too slow for that (technology limitations, ya know).

    That makes sense. Should I wait until the WeTab is released in the United States so I can support a FOSS platform and read my texts?

    marc wrote:
    I must say though that I'm not buying any book in Amazon as they come with DRM. You can use Calibre for converting ebooks and managing your collection :D

    I agree; Calibre is a refreshingly robust GUI management system for e-books. DRM-books are the main reason why I will not switch entirely to digital; what would be the point of doing so if I can still purchase and resell printed books legally?
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    woboyle wrote:
    My android phone can read epub files just fine, and Linux systems can also Here is one site: http://www.jedisaber.com/ebooks/Readers.asp

    And your eyes and head will blow off if you spend much time reading. Bright screens are *NOT* good for reading.
Sign In or Register to comment.