Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Help with proxies

Hello everyone.

I'm about to temporarily move out of the US for work reasons, but I want to continue to be able to access the internet with an American ip address.

I have a debian Virtual Private Server. I'm wondering if it would be possible to set up a proxy server on it.

I've played around with free proxy servers before, but I notice most of those give you the html of the page you're looking at and nothing else. Would it be possible to configure a proxy that would relay embedded media such as flash video exactly as it would appear on a browser in the US? Preferably encrypted for privacy reasons?

If you could recommend some software or at least point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have not experienced a proxy server only passing the html code, have you checked into using squid or even a ssh pass-through as a proxy?
  • hazmyr
    hazmyr Posts: 1
    you can find already ready-made one at http://proxy-zone.net
  • Topazan
    Topazan Posts: 2
    @mfillpot - The proxies in the link provided by hazmyr are an example. If I try to navigate to any site with flash content, it doesn't load. This renders some sites basically unusable.

I will try to research squid and ssh pass-throughs.

@hazmyr - Thanks, but as stated, those seem to experience the issue I described.

I've done a little more research, and it seems like a VPN might be what I'm looking for. I'll keep researching the possibilities, but if anyone has experience in this area I would appreciate it.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Topazan wrote:
    @mfillpot - The proxies in the link provided by hazmyr are an example. If I try to navigate to any site with flash content, it doesn't load. This renders some sites basically unusable.

I will try to research squid and ssh pass-throughs.

@hazmyr - Thanks, but as stated, those seem to experience the issue I described.

I've done a little more research, and it seems like a VPN might be what I'm looking for. I'll keep researching the possibilities, but if anyone has experience in this area I would appreciate it.

Ssh tunneling does the trick for me
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I really think sh tunneling is the best answer for this situation because it offers encryption and complete data transfer without modifications.

Categories

Upcoming Training