Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

ubuntu mount clonezilla image

clonezill web page says

* Method 1: Use Clonezilla live to restore the image to a virtual machine (e.g. VMWare workstation or Virtual Box). Then mount the restored partition to read the contents.

* Method 2:

1. Prepare a large disk in Linux

2. Say if your image is /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/, if the image is like /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/*-ptcl-img.* (e.g. /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/sda1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa), follow this to restore the image.

If the the image is like /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/sda1.ntfs-img.aa, sda1.ntfs-img.ab..., run

"file /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/sda1.ntfs-img.aa"

to see it's gzip, bzip or lzop image. Say it's gzip, then you can run

cat /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/sda1.ntfs-img.* | gzip -d -c | ntfsclone --restore-image -o sda1.img -

Then you will have a "sda1.img" which you can mount it by

mount -o loop -t ntfs sda1.img /mnt

Then all the files are in /mnt/

You can do the similar thing for the ext3, ext4 or reiserfs file system.

* Method 3: Use the tool partclone-utils to mount the image directly. (//NOTE// This program is not maintained by Clonezilla team. However, it will be included in the future release of partclone when the new release, e.g. 0.2 is released.).

how do I do # 2 with the below files? The hard drive that the image comes from is formated ntfs.

$ ls

disk sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa sda-chs.sf

Info-dmi.txt sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ab sda-hidden-data-after-mbr

Info-lshw.txt sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ac sda-mbr

Info-lspci.txt sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ad sda-pt.parted

Info-packages.txt sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ae sda-pt.sf

parts sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.af

Comments

• jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I have never used CloneZilla before, but based on the documentation excerpt you posted above, I'll give it a shot. First change directory to where your files are, and create an output directory to keep things clean:
    cd /home/partimag/YOURIMAGE/
    mkdir output/

Then try the following command to concatenate together the *.gz.* partial files, extract the content of the concatenated file using gzip (note the .gz in the file names) and restore the image:
    cat sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.* | gzip -d -c |
    ntfsclone --restore-image -o output/sda1.img -

Then create a new mountpoint for the disk image, and try mounting the disk image:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/image/
    sudo mount -o loop -t ntfs-3g output/sda1.img /mnt/image

Did that work, or did you receive any errors?
  • Thank you for your help. I did everything you did BUT ntfsclone I used partclone.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/partclone/files/

Categories

Upcoming Training