Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Question to Mods - mark threads "SOLVED"?

atreyu
atreyu Posts: 216

Hey,

Is there a way to mark a thread that you've started as SOLVED so that you can tell other forum surfers (and yourself) that something in that thread has answered the original question? This is especially handy for multi-page threads that you've entered mid-stream (via Google, etc.), or at a quick glance from the main forum view. There probably is, I just haven't found it. If there isn't...is this not a good idea, for some reason?

thx,

-bill

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have considered the same item in the past and have even manually marked items as solved. However I have seen many people enter previously resolved threads that are related to their issues to piggyback on the same details to show that they have performed the same steps. So at this point I do not have a clear solution that will best help the members of the site.

In light of your recommendation I will bring this subject up at the Linux.com planning meeting, so that the leadership can as a collaborative team work to find a solution that will best benefit the users.

Thank you for the recommendation, please feel free to post other recommendations so that they can also be considered and calling into the planning meeting next month to offer your opinions yourself.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Yes, I see your point - I guess SOLVED and CLOSED are two different things. Anyway, thanks for responding. It's nice to know we can get our voices heard! Consider this solved ;)
  • anatra75
    anatra75 Posts: 1
    With respect to this great page i would recommend a SOLVED button an a GREEN mark of such a thread. This is because i think it is a benefit for users with similar questions so that they can expect to find a solution when the thread is marked as solved. Another question is if a solved tread should be kept open for further posts or if it is better also to close it to avoid never ending and confusing threads.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Christian,
    Thank you for your recommendation, it will be considered and when a final decision is made I will update this thread to advise the community.

Categories

Upcoming Training