Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Good Book for beginners?

Hi, I was wanting to learn more about Linux and possibly some Bash scripting. I'm not sure which book would be best for me, though.

So, I was thinking about "Beginning the Linux Command Line" because it seems like that is most of the command line knowledge I would need and the basics of Bash. What I'm asking is what are all of your personal recommendations?

I've got a budget of about $35 so not really looking to get something like the Linux Bible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Because there are so many options in Linux based systems no book will give you the best core understanding of everything, so depending on what parts you want to learn the recommended books will differ. If you want to learn about the GUI operation we need to know what distro you are using, if you want to learn about network services it would be another book.

But since you asked about bash, then the listed book would definitely help you get a foundation, later on you can look for some books on advanced bash scripts and regular expressions.
  • corec
    corec Posts: 18
    Thanks, I wasn't planning on learning about the GUI or advanced things like that. Really just the basics and Bash, not like I'm going to be doing an LFS thing. (Although I would like to once I'm experienced enough)

Linux wouldn't be any fun if you only knew how to do 6 things through the command land.
    So I'll just get a few more suggestions and a ask a few friends before I decide which would be the best and not just a waste of my time and money for what I want to do. And thanks again for all your help.
  • There is a book that will teach you "basic" command line commands using bash. It is called " Essential Commands Linux Pocket Guide". It is small, easy to read and fun to use. I use all the time when I need to know a command to do some executions in the bash terminal. It is 179 pages, so not a lot to read, and it cost only $10. It also gives an introduction into programming with shell scripts if you want to write bash files. It is light and can easy fit in your pocket, which means it is designed to go on the road.

A very good feature of this book, it tells you where all the commands are located on disk. I highly recommend this book which you can buy at any Barns&Noble book store, for anybody getting started interacting with the CLI.
  • corec
    Thanks for the suggestion Istimsak, that sounds perfect for me since I use a laptop that I carry around. A nice little Linux book that I can always have with me instead of carrying a normal one around. I'd be able to practice a bit of scripting. I'll definitely get that for myself.
  • One of my favorites is A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors and Shell Programming by Mark Sobell. It is thick and may cost close to $35, but it has answered many questions I have had thus far.
  • where can we find this book?
  • corec
    Thanks Mike. That one seems pretty good, but I already have gotten The Linux Pocket Guide. It's already been a ton of help, and I've switched to Fedora instead of Ubuntu. Much better I need to say. Probably going to try a lot of other distros since I can use the command line now.
  • corec wrote:
    Thanks Mike. That one seems pretty good, but I already have gotten The Linux Pocket Guide. It's already been a ton of help, and I've switched to Fedora instead of Ubuntu. Much better I need to say. Probably going to try a lot of other distros since I can use the command line now.

I too recently bought the pocket guide for Linux, it's a good reference for command line and I gave it a thorough reading. Definitely check out as many distros as possible to figure out what's best for you. I think I'll be getting the book I just linked to sometime soon. Never hurts to learn about the things I rely on :P

Categories

Upcoming Training