Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Light fastest linux request!

Dear all,

I am new to linux world, and I hope to help me in 3 things to start.

1- What is the light weight and fastest distribution which can run with the lowest resources consumption?

2- Does linux supports adobe flash player latest version?

3- Can I run DirectX based games on linux?

Thx in advanced.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    1, The fastest distributions would be ones that you have to build basically from scratch like Linux From Scratch or Gentoo, but to get the best optimization you need to know exactly what you are doing.

2. Yes, Adobe provides Linux packages, however the version may not always be the same version that has been released to window users.

3. No, DirectX is a proprietary microsoft technology that cannot be ported to other operating systems. The latest update on DirectX compatibility can be found at http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/directx-11-coming-to-linux-games-to-follow-whoa-slow-down-there/9776
  • Thx for your fast response.

1- Basicly I want only to run linux for now to start discovering it, So I want a distribution which is PPC based and have the minimum features on it. and I want it to support running windows applications, as I read in some posts that I have to install a software on linux to be able to run windows application and games.

2- What is the actual flash player supported verion, and how can I install it to linux after helping me finding one suitable for me?

3- I read the linux can run windows games by installing a tool on it. can u help me on that?

My goal is to use linux with minimum resources comsuption and ability to play flash files, windws software and games.

Thx in advanced.
  • mfillpot
    1. The PPC system will be an issue, all windows application emulators run only on 32-bit x86 systems, so there is no potential of emulating windows based applications on that system.

2. The current version available for Linux based systems is 10.1.102.65, based upon your chosen distribution the installation methods vary. But flash may be another case were it was only built to run on x86 systems.

3. The windows emulators I know of are wine, cedega, crossover office and crossover games.

The big thing about your request is that the windows based programs are based upon the windows proprietary libraries and technologies, to get those program to work on other systems requires software engineering and reverse engineering which is a slow and painful process. If you really want to start working on a Linux based system you should first look for a good PPC based distro at www.distrowatch.com, then look for native applications with functionality similar to your windows apps.
  • The for the very helpfull links and info.

I saw them, and I am sure that wine is my target.

know I know a distribution that can run flash and wine perfectly. That's only my need. And I want the light and fastest distribution, what do u suggest?
  • mfillpot
    For a new user I generally would recommend ubuntu or fedora, but they are not quite what you would consider light. In your case I recommend looking into Debian.
  • you also try different Windows managers on your chosen distro that also offers very light processing. Ubuntu isone that I know of that supports multiple windows managers. You can google the key word "linux window managers" and choose the one that best suites you.

Categories

Upcoming Training