Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lexmark prospect pro205 driver problem

Options

I am running Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) (and compatible with Linux Ubuntu 10.04.) I am running it on an AMD64 system.

I have purchased a Lexmark Prospect printer, model pro-205. (My decision to purchase was of course heavily influenced by Lemark listing this computer as compatible with its Linux driver for this printer.

I downloaded the Lexmark driver [ lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.5-1.i386.deb.sh ] and attempted an initial install of the printer, but the driver install is telling me it can't install because I have an AMD 64 rather than an i386 system.

Does anyone know how I could modify this driver to load on an AMD 64 system?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Unfortunately I do not see any options for a 64-bit compliant driver for that printer from the vendor. As as I looked at the contents of the shell script they supplies for 32-bit installations is became apparent that is is spawning binary files rather than scripts which makes is very hard to attempt to modify.

I know that some distros have a 32-bit compatibility mode patches that will allow 32-bit applications to be run on 64-bit systems, if you can find how to enable it in Mint then you can get the drivers to work.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Most current 64bit linux systems will run 32bit applications and some 32bit drivers just fine, however some drivers like this one are probably trying to load or link to 32-bit system libraries which in some cases are in /usr/lib32, where /usr/lib is the 64 bit repository, so when it tries to get a 32-bit library from /usr/lib, it finds the 64-bit versions. Since the installation script checks for the machine type (uname --machine), if finds AMD64 or x86_64 instead of i386 and figures it cannot go further without problems. You might be able to edit the installation script to fix this, assuming you have a reasonable knowledge of shell programming. FWIW, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (and derivatives such as CentOS) put 32bit libraries in /usr/lib, and 64bit ones in /usr/lib64, for just the reasons I explained above.
  • lissacoffey
    lissacoffey Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Options

I am also running Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) (and compatible with Linux Ubuntu 10.04.) I am running it on an AMD64 system.

I have purchased a Lexmark Prospect printer, model pro-205. (My decision to purchase was of course heavily influenced by Lemark listing this computer as compatible with its Linux driver for this printer.

I downloaded the Lexmark driver [ lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.5-1.i386.deb.sh ] and attempted an initial install of the printer, but the driver is't installing

Thanks
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The driver you are listing is for 32-bit systems, is you mint installation 32-bit or 64-bit?

Categories

Upcoming Training