Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Installation and boot problem

I am new to using Linux, although I like using it so far. Today, I was installing several programs from the Ubuntu software installation center, and I received a message that my disk drive was nearly full. So, I stopped the installations that were running, and continued to use Ubuntu for the rest of the session. However, when I turned off my computer and tried to reboot, I get a different login prompt, and in the upper right corner, the following message is displayed:

Install Problem! The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator.

When I enter my login password, it then goes to a black screen, and reloads exactly what I just described above. I tried to run Ubuntu in recovery mode, and selected the third option on the recovery menu (I think it said restore installations), but that did not fix the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this without having to reinstall Ubuntu? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Why don't you tell us some more about your hardware, how you installed Ubuntu, so we can help you more. We'd probably be interested in the size of the hard disk, or the size of the partition that Ubuntu was installed on. Are you dual booting with Windows?
    If you need instructions, just ask.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    It sounds like you stopped the install in the middle of unpacking some config files for GNOME. Odds are, you will have other packages that "broken". But for now, the next you boot the computer up, hit <crtl><alt><f1> to get to a text console. Log in at that screen. Then issue the following command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-power-manager

Answer any questions that might come up.
    Once that's done, issue the following command to restart Gnome and X Windows:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

That *should* fix it, or at least move you forward.

Once you get back into the machine, also, you may want to clean up your apt cache, as that's probably what's choking up your disk space. issue the following command:

sudo apt-get clean

Categories

Upcoming Training