Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Image to my question on deleting programs

I would like to delete these excess generic pae'sIMAGE(http://i55.tinypic.com/2mzcp6g.jpg)

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can use apt-get or the synaptic package manager to remove the unused kernels, which all should currently be showing in the computer janitor prompting removal.
  • I proceeded to my computer janitor and it listed the kernel generic pae 20 and it's dependencies, and I deleted that particular kernel. I will go to my synaptic manager to delete the other names kernel / programs one by one to avoid any co-dependencies which might exist. I need to do this in a step by step process. I do not want to crash my main Kernel [ pae 24 ] as this seems to be the ' kubuntu main system. The computer janitor only listed the pae 20 program as not being supported anymore, and no other programs were listed. I will update you on my progress..Thank you, John
    ps: It would be so nice if Linux could make a package manager that can automatically install those .sh packages as well as the tar.bz. It is somewhat time consuming for us novice command line users to fiqure out the process or command lines to do this. Providing such a package manager, besides ' Gedit ' would steer more computer OS purchases to Linux for personal use...just a crazy suggestion.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It is good to see that you found the computer janitor and are progressing nicely.

The .run, .sh and tar.gz packages are all different and separate from the package manager.

.run is a binary installer for an application which completes it's action separate from the package manager.
    .sh is a shell script which can perform various tasks but in your case it is a shell script to install a package outside of the package manager.
    .tar.gz packages usually contain source code for an application in which you must compile the application with the appropriate actions to install it on your system, these are generally the base of the packages that you are used to. A package maintainer must use these base archives and files to build a recognized package for your distro before it is recognized by your package manager.

Categories

Upcoming Training