Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Monitor issue Ubuntu 10.04

mshramek
mshramek Posts: 1

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04, actually just started using anything Linux about a week ago, however I ugraded to 10.04 from 9.1 from the upgrade manager and after the update I do not get a full screen. I can only get 800x400 aspect ratio when I need the full 16:9 ratio like I used to have with 9.1.

I go into the monitors section under preferences but the option is not there.

I run Ubuntu in a Virtual Box if that has any bearing on the situation. I had no issues with 9.1 though and I do have the VBox additions installed.

Let me say this I am very very new to Linux and so you will have to speak to me like a child :laugh:

So any help is appreciated. I am trying to work with Linux to see if I am ready to switch over completely. I do love that most software is free and that issues can get resolved quickly without waiting for some person in Washington to release a service pack that seems to cause more issues. But beyond that I haven't found much reason to switch completely.

If I can't get this screen issue resolved I definitely won't come back to it until it does because working with that tiny little screen and having to scroll to see everythin is annoying. Anyway I am ranting, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    When you running Ubuntu in a virtual environment it is using a virtual graphics setup, not the graphics card that's in your computer. One of the things I help folks with is setting up their graphics cards with the correct drivers, but, using a distro running in a virtual mode, there is no way to do that. You can manipulate the virtual graphics to increase the resolution, but it won't be the same as using and setting up graphics as if it was installed on computer (i.e., not virtually).
    The best way to see how the graphics works with Ubuntu on your PC would be to use a LiveCD or LiveUSB.

Categories

Upcoming Training