Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

10.04 randomly boots into CLI mode

mfillpot
mfillpot Posts: 2,177

I have someone that I setup on Ubuntu 10.04 and recently it has been booting into CLI mode on random boots, however it is not giving any visible errors or giving any reason for the error. Upon reviewing the web it look like it may be related to the nvidia drivers being mis-configured.

Have anyone else experienced this issue or have any recommendations for ways to track and fix the problem?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    In my Debian days, this would happen occasionally. Removing all files that came in and re-installing usually did the trick. Back then I was using sgfxi to install my Nvidia drivers,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148323

It install do like so:
    cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi && sgfxi

I don't know how you feel about third party scripts but I've used this one every time I had a kernel update back in Debian and it never failed. It removes everything left by the old install, then reinstalls. Can't get any cleaner than that.

Ubuntu installer works, but I'm not sure if it cleans up before installing.
  • mfillpot
    GionEasy9, when that used to happened to you what was the cause of what kind of error messages pointed to your nvidia driver?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Back then, it's been well over a year, but I do remember driver names in the error line. nividia.ko comes to mind. It's like the driver can't be found. Xorg was redirecting it incorrectly, or it was installed incorrectly in the first place.

These days with fedora looking at Xorg.0.log usually has answers for anything video related problems.
  • mfillpot
    Thank you for the reply, I will look over the xorg error log when I can get my hands back on the computer.

Categories

Upcoming Training