Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Selecting the right Linux for integration

Hi All,

Can anyone advise me can the following be achieve?

I want to use a free Linux say Mandriva Free 2010 Spring and integrate with BIND, Apache, MySQL etc to make it a Server.

The function of this Server inlcudes :

1. DNS Server

2. FTP Server

3. VPN Server

4. DHCP Server

5. RAID 0,1 or 5.

6. WEB Server

7. Mail Server (Including Webmail)

8. RAS server

9. Firewall

I understand that combining all Server function into 1 box may not be practical, however I just want to know whether can this be done?

Is Mandriva Free 2010 Spring the right Linux OS to be use for this case?

Any recommendation on which application to be used for each Server function above?

Thanks

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am not familiar with Madriva, but it is possible to include all of those functions on every distro.

My recommendation would be to use Fedora since the RedHat based interfaces are build with server admins in mind and because it has SeLinux in the base install. With all of those services running at once you have many potential points of entry and reading up and implementing SeLinux will be your best defense.
  • alvyn
    alvyn Posts: 5
    Hi,

Thank you for your advise.

When you mentioned that those Server functions can be addon to every distro, why are there still some distros having Desktop & Server differentiation?

By not confusing "newbies" like myself, why not they just provide the base OS and allow users to addon/install those features when require?
    Do they provide Server distro because for the convenient of user so that users do not need to install these server features individually?

Eg; In windows based, Server OS comes with Active Directory, DNS, DHCP etc which the Desktop OS (Win XP/Win 7) are not capable to addon these features. At least users can easily differentiate which OS to choose and use.

Regards
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The general difference that can be applied in Server editions are lack of GUI environment, Installation of services at install and a kernel modified to balance out higher resource needs. But in the end all modifications that are done for a server installation can be performed to a desktop installation with a little bit of work.

The Desktop Editions are installed with a basic set of desktop tools, but remain capable of server operations. A server installation is installed with the service options, but can always be reverted to a desktop system. The differentiation is really to help a user decide which may version may be best for their needs. MS has similar functions and the core can ideally be configured the same, but because with a proprietary commercial system you are paying for the capabilities, they section the services out of the desktop versions to preserve the need for a user to purchase the more expensive server editions.
  • alvyn
    alvyn Posts: 5
    Hi mfillpot,

Thank you for your valuable advise and clear my confusion.

Thank you very much :)

Categories

Upcoming Training