Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux (Ubuntu Studio 9.10) on a raid0?

Options

Hello peeps,

Before I attempt this install, thought it would be wise to ask for some advice here first. I just read on a really outdated forum that the Linux Kernel cannot be installed on a Raid0. Though it seemed possible to install all the software one desires onto the Raid.

I am yet quite the noob with Linux, so have no clue as to how I could seperately install the Kernel from the software, though wise enough to know that about 5 different partitions should be made to smooth up some processes eventually.

My 2 questions are:

-Can I install Linux (Ubuntu Studio 9.10) onto a hardware configured Raid0?

-If my Raid0 is 500GB, could one advise me how big/small the partition sizes should be that will be needed for Multimedia creations, and gaming in Wine?

(I know how to create partions upon the initial installation of the distro, but have no clue how big they should be or which data should be installed per partition. Example: Swap, etc)

Your help is most welcome, and I thank you in advance for any info you can supply.

Comments

• gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Options
    So, if it's real honest to goodness hardware raid, then you should have no trouble what so ever, because the controller card will have a real RAID chip w/ a separate BIOS and you should be able to boot from within the RAID environment. If you have a "fake raid" card, then well ... You may want to go google some more for the specific model number and people's experiences with that card.

As far as paritioning your disk space goes, there's not "right answer" really. So for example, for swap, there's no magic number, but a lot of folks will tell you to pick a ratio of 1:1 or 2:1 swap to physical memory. But again, ask 10 people, and you'll get 10 different answers. /boot is usually it's own partition, and that's usually around 100MB. But if you're dilligent about removing old kernel images, etc, smaller might be fine, if you're not, you may want to go bigger.

The best thing I think I can do is point you to a decent explanation of what each directory in the file system was meant for, and what kinds of data wind up there, and then you can make a judgement based on what you plan to do with the machine. I suggest perusing the file system standards at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

Categories

Upcoming Training