Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Intermittent keyboard input problem on frefx/chrme

Hello, I am running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid on kernel 2.6.32-22-generic. I have two issues, one is that the xserver randomly restarts and the other is that upon waking up the computer the keyboard input on chrome and firefox stops working.

1. It seems like under heavy load is what makes the XServer crash but I'm not sure. The screen glitches and then it loads the login screen. If I remember right, it looks the same as killing the XServer. I have a NVIDIA 6200 with the latest NVIDIA drivers.

2. The keyboard works fine until you let the computer sleep, the computer is set to shut off the screen at 30 minutes, but it is not allowed to actually sleep. When I come back to the computer and wake the screen, everything will work except text input into an currently open firefox or chrome browser. But, if I open a new browser(chrome or firefox) the text input works. Then after a while the text input will work again on the previously opened browser. When it screws up I cant type in ANY text box on the open browser.

Also I ran the online upgrade to this distro.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Well, let's start with the X Server logs from right before and after the alleged crash. Can you get this from /var/log/Xorg.0.log, please?

As for the keyboard, I would suspect that part of this is tied to the X server issues you are having, so let's focus on that first.
  • Okay, is this a running log so to say? As in I should pull it soon after it happens?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The log file can get large quite quickly, reviewing the log promptly can save you time reviewing unnecessary parts of the file.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    It is a running log, and I forgot that it doesn't usually get time stamped, so try this. The next time you log in, copy /dev/null over the log file (to set it to zero length). Then go about your business. then once the problem occurrs, if the file is under about 50 lines long, post it here, if it's longer than that, give us like a tail -100 of the file in an attachment.

Categories

Upcoming Training