Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Should I go Linux?

Hello everyone! :)

New to the forums here, and I would like some input.

I have been told a lot about Linux, Ubuntu specifically from friends and family, a lot of them suggested I should make the switch, and well, here I am beginning my research :)! I am quite familiar with PCs, especially when it comes to hardware, but less so when it comes to software. I personally use my desktop (built myself less than a month ago) for school work, and gaming. Hardcore gaming to be more specific :P. My schoolwork is usually done through office, which should be no problem since I can use Openoffice on Linux, but I also do lots of programming, python anyone? :) I also use it for watching movie/anime/series that I download.

Examples for some games I play:-

* CoD4 MW2 [Steam]

* Team Fortress 2 [Steam]

* Dragon Age: Origins

* Mass Effect 2

* Heroes of Newerth

Note: I also took a distro quiz, and here are my results:-

* 100% Linux Mint

* 100% Mandriva

* 100% Kubuntu

* 100% Ubuntu (The only one I've been told about/ familiar with name)

* 100% Opensuse

A brief over-view of my PC's components:-

* CPU: i7 930 @4.0 Ghz

* GPU: Ati Radeon 5970

* RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB

* Lite-on CD/DVD drive

* WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD [x2]

My questions:-

1) What will Linux/Ubuntu provide me that Windows 7 will not?

2) Will installing Linux/Ubuntu enable me do what I do on my PC? Game/Study/Surf Web?

3) I don't mind troubleshooting and all, but would the experience be as if I were building something from almost scratch?

4) I'd rather not going into command prompts. Is this possible while installing Linux?

5) Can I achieve overclocking with Linux? Or do I have to go back to stock settings?

6) Will I be gaining any ground in performance while playing games for example?

Many many thanks in advance guys! :laugh:

Cheers,

Mass

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    1. Linux will provide you an operating system that does not require defragmentation, disk clean, anti-virus and malware scanners that will not slow over time and automatically updates all included software components for free. In addition you also have the ability to setup any network services you wish at no cost and relative simplicity, and the ability to install software from the internet with extreme simplicity.

2. You will be able to stufy and surf the web without issues, but some your windows based games will work with a windows emulator installed, but other will not work period, for that reason you can setup your system to dual boot windows and ubuntu.

3. Ubuntu is one of the easiest to manage systems, you won't have to do anything from scratch.

4. Ubuntu uses a GUI installer, the CLI option is available if you wish to to advanced commands later on.

5. Yes you can.

6. Better Network connections, lower memory usage and more cpu cycles available to your games. You would feel a positive difference.
  • Armann
    Armann Posts: 3
    The only problem for you would be games.

I'm a gamer myself, only first person shooters, like cod and css.

When it's game time I just dual boot to Windows.

I can try the emulators but I haven't been happy with them.
    They are o.k for games that aren't fps based.

Give it a try B)
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    I agree with Matt whole heartedly.

I would add to his #1 that you also gain a greater level of customizability and options. That's both from the standpoint of individual settings to play with, but also with the level of customisation you have over a disintegrated set of applications over a monolithic and unchaning user interface. That is to say, when you install Windows 7, you get a single window manager, and desktop envronment, and that's it. With a Linux distribution, you can install any number of desktop environements (more than one at a time, even on the same box) and multitple window managers, and themes, etc.

I woudl add to his #2 that you should put pressure on the companies that write the games you play to port their games to Linux. A few companies code their games natively for Linux with great success. Admittedly, though, gaming is one of the Linux's shortcomings, but that's no fault of the OS or the comunity itself. It's all about vendor acceptance and buy-in, and market pressure. I would also add that you will be able to surf the web more safely just by virtue of there not being the big gaping security holes called Internet Explorer and Outlook on your computer. Go and take a good look at how most viruses are spread these days, and how most data is stolen from end users these days ...

To his #3 I would add that it's up to you. You can install a distro like Ubuntu that "just works" and experience a very flat learning curve and generally have a pleasant user experience. You can go the other way if you chose to and install a distro like Gentoo where there's an emphasis on do-it-yourself and experience a tremendous leanring curve. The key thing to consider is that Open Source and thus Linux is all about freedom and CHOICE.

#4, all the distro's you listed, I believe have GUI installers. MOST distro's have GUI installers. Actually, Kubuntu IS Ubuntu w/ a different desktop environement. And Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu.

#5, again, it's all about more options, more choice, more freedom. You can do things with Linux that you can't do with any other OS, but just about anything you can do with just about any other OS can be done w/ Linux.

#6, Again, you have to consider that most games are not written for Linux natively, so once you add a virtual machine, or an emulator on top of the OS and the game, you may not see an improvement, or maybe even a degredation. But in all other areas, you should see pretty big improvements in performance. And if there's something that's not quite to your liking, odds are, there's a relatively painless way to tweak it (even if there wasn't a way in Windows, etc).
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Adam, that was very well stated.
  • adnhack
    adnhack Posts: 16
    Agree with you

Categories

Upcoming Training