Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

dual boot linux and xp? or just linux alone?

I know there are many threads about dual boot linux windows. I did a search but couldn't find for this specific question.

I'm planning to use Puppy Linux as my main OS on my P4 machine. I asked a friend of mine who knows Linux very well.

I asked should I install Puppy alone on my P4 machine? He told me that I should dual boot with XP because sometimes Linux alone does not compatible with graphic card, sound card, Ethernet adapter, etc...

If dual boot Linux with Windows. They both can share the same drivers. Is it true?

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    xxxholic wrote:
    I know there are many threads about dual boot linux windows. I did a search but couldn't find for this specific question.
    I'm planning to use Puppy Linux as my main OS on my P4 machine. I asked a friend of mine who knows Linux very well.
    I asked should I install Puppy alone on my P4 machine? He told me that I should dual boot with XP because sometimes Linux alone does not compatible with graphic card, sound card, Ethernet adapter, etc...
    If dual boot Linux with Windows. They both can share the same drivers. Is it true?

Short answer: no, that is not true.

Exception: there are some cases (ndiswraper) were you can indeed use a windows driver although this is not very common.

I've been windows free for almost 12years now: does that help you? ;)

Anyway, if you are gonna dual boot, keep in mind to install *first* Windows. It will be much easier as Windows installs as it were the only OS on your machine.
  • orcephrye
    orcephrye Posts: 9
    The way you phrased what you said is confusing. When you say "sometimes linux alone" is not compatible with certain hardware are you trying to imply that by installing a dual boot system that linux with be more compatible?

Or are you saying that somethings things are not gonna work with Linux so it be nice to be able to run windows?

Basically dual boot means that when you first turn on the computer you can choose what OS to use. Not that both will boot at the same time and share hardware.

If you are worried if the OS will detected all the hardware correctly like the video card. I would suggest running your Linux Distro of choice on a LiveCD. URL: http://www.puppylinux.com/cd-puppy.htm

You can then from there see is most of the stuff works. And then install.

If this machine is a spare computer and you already have windows installed on your main PC. Then I recommend not complicating things and just install linux. Adding a duel boot windows wont add any functionality or hardware support to linux. If you want to run a windows app on the linux box you can either use wine, find a opensource version or get a VirtualMachine setup.

Categories

Upcoming Training