Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New Linux GUI optimised for Tablets

Options

First of all, let me tell you something: If it is money you want to start helping me, then you will get a fair share of any profit.

So, Picture This:

I am a 12 year old, dreaming in bed, and in my dream I have inspiration (where else would you get it from?).

My inspiration is for a new Tablet-Oriented GUI. I do NOT have a lot of money, and as such do not have a tablet, nevermind one that could think about running Linux. However, I am saving up for one, and the one that has caught my eye is £350. *gulp*

Forget about Tablets for a second.I do not have hardware capable of dual booting, that's how much memory I have used up with damned Windows. I don't want to sacrifice windows, I have Flash MX 2004 running on it and have lost the disk. Therefore, I cannot test builds on my own machines.

Ok, Remember Tablets now. I am not doing a plea for a tablet, but I am still going to go through what this tablet will need to have.

[ul]

[li]Multi-Touch Screen (check)[/li]

[li]At least One USB port (so that you can boot linux to it) (check)[/li]

[li]Good Processor (check)[/li]

[/ul]

If out of interest you would like to know what exact tablet I am talking about, it is the HP Slate.

Now then, onto the real thing.

I am asking for one, two or more programmers to step up and volunteer to take design into reality. aka, either build ontop of a lightweight linux distribution or build a completely new one*. These programmers will need to have time on their hands, as I have heard (and know from the small amount of programming I do) that this is no easy task.

As an optional improvement to the video I am making, I think there should be Flash and Air. Otherwise people wont get rid of their HP Slate OS.

I have an image of a rough design of the desktop. Just click here.

I am working on a feeble attempt at a video aswell.

When the video is finished news will be posted here and I will PM people who have agreed to help.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

*The linux distros I'm thinking we should build on are:

[ul]

[li]Damn Small Linux (DSL)[/li]

[li]Ubuntu Netbook Remix[/li]

[li]Puppy Linux[/li]

[/ul]

If you feel there are more and/or better ones, reply, because even if you don't want to help, it will be useful to those who do.

If we create a completely new distro, we decide the name between all of us.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

If we get profit, profit is shared equally.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

If you agree to help, please say what job you would like to have:

Head of All: drnessie(This is to stop Producer from firing me)

Overall Producer: (Not taken by me as I have no idea how to run such a project)

Director: (Second to producer)

Design Head: drnessie (Can't argue: I made the design)

Second Design Head: (Can improve anyone's designs, answer questions if they're here and I'm not, etc.)

Designers: (For pure designing. Can be assigned to improve or create new from a template)

Programming Head: (In charge of all programming)

Second Programming Head: (Same as 2nd design head only with programming)

Programmers: (For pure programming, etc.)

I have tried (and probably failed) to keep this post formal.

plz help & thx in advance

drnessie:D

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    You have me really lost, are you just asking for a GUI to replace the GUI that is currently on your system or are you asking for developers to build "your goal GUI" on top of a Linux based system?
  • drnessie
    drnessie Posts: 2
    Options
    I am asking for help in creating a goal UI (GUI ;) ) Ontop of another linux OS.

Ubuntu, Puppy Linux, DSL, Or a completely new one!

The picture of what It might look like on the desktop is in the post above.

Whatever happens, It needs to be multi-touch tablet oriented.
  • kushwahaji
    Options
    very niceB)

Categories

Upcoming Training