ALC880

ALC882

ALC883

ALC885

ALC888

ALC889A

ALC892

Installation:

This Source Code is from www.alsa-project.org.

For OS installation, please remember add the Development tool kit.

For driver installation, please follow below steps.

Automatic install: (Recommend RedHat distribution)

execute

./install

Note: Ubuntu OS, please use manual install.

Run commands need to add sudo at first words.

Manual install:

Step 1. unzip source code

tar xfvj alsa-driver-1.0.xx.tar.bz2

Step 2. Turn on sound support from kernel config

(soundcore module, default turn on)

Step 3. Complied source code

a. cd alsa-driver-1.0.xx

b. ./configure (--with-cards=hda-intel)<= for HDA options<br />
c. make

d. make install

e. alsaconf

Step 4. Edit your /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules depending on the distribution

(Please refer to the attached modules.conf)

snd-xxxx is the card ID.

-- Azalia controller --ALC880 ALC882 ALC260 ALC262 ALC883 ALC885 ALC888

--- Intel ICH6 ICH7 ---------

snd-hda-intel

-- AC97 controller --ALC655 ALC650 ALC250 ALC255

--- Intel ICH6 ICH7 , SiS 7012 and NVidia----------

snd-intel8x0

--- Via8233 Via686a -------------------------------

snd-via82xx

--- ATI Chipset -------------------------------

snd-atiixp

Copy and paste this to the bottom of your /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf file.

# ALSA portion

alias char-major-116 snd

alias snd-card-0 snd-xxxx

# OSS/Free portion

alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss

alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Step 5. reboot your machine

Step 6. Use the alsamixer the disable mute (All audio line default is mute)

Must to compile and to install the ALSA library and utility. (Use automatic install is already install)

excute alsamixer

Note: 1. The most detail information, can refer the alsa-kernel/Documenttation/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the azx-021705.tar.bz2.

2. Kernel Version must be 2.6 or later.

3. All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native

or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels.

4. If can not compile the source code, try to rename the /usr/src/linux-2.x -> /usr/src/linux.

5. The driver added to support the SPDIF functoin.

6. a. You can download the alsa-lib-1.0.x and alsa-utils-1.0.x form the www.alsa-project.org, then unzip and install them.

b. Suggest use "alsamixer" to control mixer function.

c. Used "alsaconf" can autodetect which drive you need to install (step 4).

7. SUSE Distribution must install the ncurses package.

Directed to Karma, my personal Master Geek. It's been awhile and I am still giddy over Ubuntu. got a small problem with an installation. I have Realtek Audio Manager install in my Windows, which had superb sound output and many enhancements. Realtek offers the same for Linux and I downloaded it with one problem. I can't get it to install, and it is listed in my synaptic manager. I entered to the best of my knowledge the commands shown me in the read me text, but I keep getting, file cannot be recognized. The Alsa driver in Ubuntu is ok, but the quality of the sound output is pretty undesirable. I tried all the tricks, apt-get install, source, update etc., but nothing works. here are the folders and the files associated with Realtex./home/john822/Pictures/Screenshot-2.png/home/john822/Pictures/Screenshot-3.png

thank you, John

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Let me see if I understand correctly. You tried to install the kernel driver from source? If so, then try to remove the driver you installed (use the command 'modprobe -r modname'). Then try the Realtek Audio Manager program. The driver and/or codec you installed may be conflicting with the one that is part of the ALSA sub-system. Also, which Realtek card or chip set do you have?
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 Posts: 128
    I am not to sure which Realtek card I have or the chip set associated with it. I only know that the audio components / driver were those that are the default setup which are packaged with Ubuntu 9.10. I was just attempting a new package install of Realtek. I will try the method you suggested and see what results in that attempt and let you know the results......:blush:
  • jhaskins75
    I am not sure I should attempt to alter the driver base, as I am nowhere near experienced with the necessary command tree to proceed. I want to, but I do not want to recreate the crash scenario I had before. It is requesting me to turn on sound core module, which I believe is the sound data properties window. I can associate with Windows when I downloaded the Realtek audio pack for it, but there are to many alterations for me to feel that I am doing the right thing and following the correct steps. If I enter the command you gave me and something does not pan out correctly, can I reverse my actions? or can I go to synaptic manager and reinstall the previous program. I know that altering a kernel is the same as altering the registry in Windows. I just want to be sure. You have provided to me in the past, accurate information, as well as correct advice. So what would be your advice now? John:unsure:
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    My guess is that you do not need to install another driver base, that the issues is that ubuntu had the necessary driver for your older audio card as a module rather than installed by default. If that is the case you will only need to identify the correct driver and launch it manually by calling the modprobe command with the appropriate module name.
  • jhaskins75
    Well with that being said, what is your recommendations to having the best audio driver to give me the best sound output. There seems to be no program that has a equalizer that would make the sound output pleasing. There are apts which have graphic interfaces showing equalizers, but they are essentially for input devices, recordings or plug ins. I have desktop sharing feature installed. If you feel the need to dwell into my setup. feel free. the password is greywolf. I sent a picture of the desktop sharing feature, if you care to use it. sometimes, it is better to have tech. support directly with the tech being able to see and address the problem first hand. I have Teamviewer setup on my windows, but not on Linux [file name=Screenshot_4-7569b8e8a039fdaac444e33547e9f687.png size=45399]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot_4-7569b8e8a039fdaac444e33547e9f687.png[/file] Screenshot_4-4e721ae57ce2b5cfe3814bf8364315f0.png
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 wrote:
    Well with that being said, what is your recommendations to having the best audio driver to give me the best sound output. There seems to be no program that has a equalizer that would make the sound output pleasing. There are apts which have graphic interfaces showing equalizers, but they are essentially for input devices, recordings or plug ins. I have desktop sharing feature installed. If you feel the need to dwell into my setup. feel free. the password is greywolf. I sent a picture of the desktop sharing feature, if you care to use it. sometimes, it is better to have tech. support directly with the tech being able to see and address the problem first hand. I have Teamviewer setup on my windows, but not on Linux [file name=Screenshot_4-7569b8e8a039fdaac444e33547e9f687.png size=45399]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot_4-7569b8e8a039fdaac444e33547e9f687.png[/file] Screenshot_4-4e721ae57ce2b5cfe3814bf8364315f0.png

I was able to install Teamviewer 5 into linux via this program outside of wine., called crossover. It is my preferred peer to peer for it accuracy and security features. you can use teamviewer as a web open application if you care not to installed it to your drive. Just visit www,teamviewer.com I have a dynamic set password for my sessions as well as a pre define password teamviewer provides as a random display each time teamviewer is open for security purposes. If you feel better using this application to view my immediated setup, please feel free to call me, John , 202.486.5376 and I can provide you my users id as well as the static password.........
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 wrote:

I was able to install Teamviewer 5 into linux via this program outside of wine., called crossover. It is my preferred peer to peer for it accuracy and security features. you can use teamviewer as a web open application if you care not to installed it to your drive. Just visit www,teamviewer.com I have a dynamic set password for my sessions as well as a pre define password teamviewer provides as a random display each time teamviewer is open for security purposes. If you feel better using this application to view my immediated setup, please feel free to call me, John , 202.486.5376 and I can provide you my users id as well as the static password.........
  • jhaskins75
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ sudo modprobe -r modname
    [sudo] password for john822:
    FATAL: Module modname not found.
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ 'modprobe -r modprobe'
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ apt-get source modprobe
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to find a source package for modprobe
    john822@john822-desktop:~$

I gave it a try and here are the results.
  • mfillpot
    What I was referring to is finding the correct audio driver module name and calling it with the modprobe command, not necessarily calling the exact phrase. for example my system used snd-hda-intel, I can manually load it by issuing the command "modprobe snd-hda-intel".

If you know your card type you can enter the corresponding module name from step 4 of your original post as the argument for modprobe.
  • jhaskins75
    That is basically my problem trying to find the name and location of these modules and their associated names. I am sure if you direct me to the location to at lease start from, such as System/administration, etc. I can begin to provide more precise information for you. I install a program for viewing devices installed. It is the Device manager console. I will see if I can Obtain the properties of the Audio as well as the intel about them...:woohoo:
  • jhaskins75
    here is the information I retrieved about the playback for Alsa [file name=Screenshot_5.png size=62345]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot_5.png[/file]
  • mfillpot
    I am unfamiliar for the GUI based utilities for checking hardware information so I can only offer limited input. But the potential sound card codecs are listed in /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda. What you see in that folder are the kernel sound modules that you can load via modprobe, you just must remember to remove the .ko from the end of the item when you call it through modprobe.

I know by reviewing the specs on my computer when I purchased it that it is using a conexant sound card, so I use the snd-hda-codec-conexant module by issuing the command "modprobe snd-hda-codec-conexant".
  • mfillpot
    I looked up alc88 on the web to find out that it is a realtek audio card, you can issue the command "sudo modprobe snd-hda-codec-realtek" and see if that helps.
  • jhaskins75
    with that info you provided is allowing me to believe that maybe the realtek driver has been installed and is possibly the default setup. I will visit Realtek website to see if I can download their sound manger program interface, like the one presently installed in my windows. I will get back to you in a few....:blush:
  • jhaskins75
    this is the Realtek HD Audio Manger Interface I am referring too and if the Alc888 device is listed as it showed in my device manager, I should be able to set it as the default setup as well as download the Hd Audio Manager to compliment it. I am in my windows. Sure would love to be able to set up a virtual environment. Hoping back and forward is tire some, especially with a two hour auto shutdown of my windows 7 evaluation RC setup, Thanks to Mr. Gates, trying to get me to spend $319.00 for the retail version when I know enjoy Linux and I am very close to having the same comfortable viewing and programming experience that Windows providesB)
  • jhaskins75
    9bj8ed.jpg

Here is the image of the Realtek HD Audio Manager I am Referring to. I will see if I can download it, now knowing that I have the ALC88 & 888 driver installed, as it is listed in my Device Manger. I hope I can also select it and make it my default setup. I must leave my window setup now. Bill Gates only is giving me a two hour window of operation in the W7 RC version, then it will shutdown. He wants me to pay over $300.00 for the retail version and I am increasingly getting happy using Linux......
  • mfillpot
    I do not know if that user interface is even available for Linux based systems. As far as I am aware their codecs and drivers for Linux only allow the default Linux utilities to control the device. Do you have a link for the Linux Version of the Realtek Audio Manager that you can post so I can attempt ot set it up on my system?
  • jhaskins75
    Sorry, my head was into a good movie. I downloaded from www.realtek.com which uses a mirror site for downloading. I believe you are precisely correct. After downloading their HD audio Manager, I noticed the files were exactly the same, except on the end it had .gz and the audio codec was alc888 which is the digital version. I was able to find the audio program within the Systems Settings menu. It showed the different audio setups and their default settings. I now have the sound quality, but I am afraid I will not be able to access the users interface as I sent to you as an image. Let me know what you find..

Categories

Upcoming Training