Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Fedora 10 and SyncMaster 2033

pjpdev
pjpdev Posts: 11

I've got a rather strange problem. Fedora 10 doesn't want to work with my Samsung SyncMaster 2033... And I don't have the feintest idea why. I never had this problem with my old CRT monitor (on the same PC).

Basically what happens is when I try to start the graphical install the screen goes blank, and I can't even open my monitor's settings menu... Like it's on standby, but it's not. I tried different settings, but to no avail. And resorted to a text-based install, so now I've got it installed.

Next problem... It boots into text mode, but that's not the real issue. Whenever I try to start up the X server the same thing happens as with the installation, blank screen.

Could anyone please help me out?

P.S. Sorry, but I'm too lazy to go and download Fedora 12.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I would have to say that the xorg server is unable to auto-detect the settings for this monitor, most likely because of a communication issue. My recommendation is to view the output of "X --help" and "man X" to find out how to make it probe for you monitor, build a xorg.conf file and for you to manually edit the file to get the correct settings.

Most likely the libraries in the latest version of Fedora may have the communication protocol corrected where this may not be necessary, so since this is a new device I would recommend going with a newer release of the distro to increase your chances of self-configuration.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    In Fedora, the blank screen is usually a symptom of a mismatched graphics driver. Mfillpot is correct about the auto detect, but installing using the basic video driver choice in the install menu has worked for me even on the newest (or oldest) of monitors.

Can you give me some more info about your system? Especially what video card your using, and what graphic settings your trying?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    GoingEasy9, thanks for popping in, I was hoping you would since you are the fedora man.
  • Goineasy9
    Hey, mfillpot, np, just wish I could be here as much as you are. This monitor has some very interesting threads connected to it. I saw this poll on one site:
    Windows 7
    Microsoft Windows 7 drivers compatibility: 44% (547 votes)
    Linux
    Some of drivers are working on Linux OS, for example Ubuntu or Debian.
    Windows Vista
    At this time, almost all drivers are Windows Vista compatible.

I don't think I've ever seen a monitor that needed it's own drivers in Linux. I think we'll find a solution as soon as we get some more info. Although, since F10 is EOL, I don't know if the repo's are still open.
  • pjpdev
    pjpdev Posts: 11
    Thanks for the advice. I should've thought about the driver issue since this is a new monitor and Fedora 10 is dead long ago. But anyway, I've decided to download the Fedora 12 LiveCD and installed it and it works out the box. No need for configuration.

So once again, thanks for the help.

PS: The SyncMaster 2033 remains an awesome monitor!
  • Goineasy9
    Good move on using Fedora 12 ... have fun.

Categories

Upcoming Training