Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

G.HO.ST

I been checking out cloud OS.

G.HO.ST really caught my eye.

Check it out http://g.ho.st?referral=gimcrack

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Their services seem interesting, but I really want to know about the comparability, app catalog, response time and client side security. If you end up signing up for this service please report back with some of the information that I am questioning.
  • Services

Hosted Applications and Services

Ghost Includes a growing list of leading free Web software apps & services
    Communications apps : Meebo multi-protocol instant messenger
    Entertainment apps: MP3 player, Internet radios Last.fm & Pandora
    Office suite (for G.ho.st® Drive files): Zoho and ThinkFree
    External office suites (with their own storage): Google Docs
    Photo editing: Snipshot
    Search external data sources; drag-and-drop "Things" to your desktop from:
    Amazon
    Yahoo! Shopping
    Flickr
    YouTube
    Games: from Miniclip and many more
    Widgets: RSS news reader, Clock, Weather, Calculator, MP3 player, and more
    Add your own: Add your own app using a URL in Tagged Things/New/Web Apps
  • Data Security

G.ho.st has chosen a best-of-class secure professional data center for your precious data - namely Amazon Web Services (AWS) from Amazon.com. According to Amazon.com, Amazon's AWS file storage (S3) was built to the same service level standards that Amazon requires for its own web sites, with a targeted 99.99% availability, and storage of each piece of data on multiple servers in multiple Amazon data centers so that data will never be lost.

Your files on your home PC or in the office are subject to disk crashes (which might occur in-between periodic backups), theft of the computer, viruses and spy-ware. Your files on G.ho.st are actually much more secure with immediate backup to multiple locations, 24 hour professional monitoring and physical and data security by Amazon.com staff.

G.ho.st also includes several features to protect your privacy including encrypting all passwords and some other sensitive data using a VeriSign Certificate and minimizing caching of private data.
    Ghost is the most stable of the web desktops I have used. The Global Hosted Operating SysTem offers a fairly usable desktop using Amazons W3 service for file storage
    Dustin M. Wax
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    BTW - I checked out your blog, and, while it's still fairly new, I found some interesting things on it. Bookmarked. I still have my doubts about using the cloud ... but I'm listening.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am not looking for the sales pitch from the site, but information about how the user sees the information. It seems interesting use an OS based on a cloud server, just I would never need that any many people including companies may question the need. But the concept is interesting.
  • adnhack
    adnhack Posts: 16
    I like more Ubuntu One, is a great cloud service... and you can sync with your iphone :D
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    nice specs,
    now bookmarked and playing with it
  • adnhack
    adnhack Posts: 16
    Yea, the bad news are the sync contacts in Ubuntu One is no more free, it has a 30 days only free trial, and after that if you want to keep using it you should upgrade :(

Categories

Upcoming Training