Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Adjusting Partition without Reinstallation

Options

Hi,

It has been quite a while since I posted something here.

I tried to search if this question has been answered already but i cannot seem to find the right thread.

I am maintaining a home server (kind of a sandbox for myself) installed with Ubuntu 8.04.2.

I wish to repartition a partition previously set during the installation but I am afraid to risk doing it without proper consultation.

The server contains valuable personal files, data, and objects that I cannot risk to lose.

Please advise if anyone has tried to repartition an ubuntu partition without reinstalling the entire OS.

If anyone has done it, please advise how to proceed.

Thank you!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    repartitioning is safe, but as always make sure you information is backed up prior to doing it.

Once the data from the partition you are killing has been moved you can delete the partition, after that go into whichever partition manager you choose to use (gui based, cfdisk, fdisk, etc..) and add your new partitions, after they have been setup you can remap them by modifying the /etc/fstab file.

I since you are on ubuntu I would highly recommend doing this in recovery mode or from a live CD, now it you are planning to scrap the partition that has the /proc directory then you can run into some trouble.

It may sound complexed, but after going through it the first time is gets quite easy.

Categories

Upcoming Training