Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

sound question

I know this has probably been asked 100x before, I'm sorry.

I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu, and i really like it. It would be my main OS but, i cannot get the sound to work! The video's play back perfectly, just no sound. I do have a sound card (Creative X-Fi Xtreme gamer) I would like to use it, but i really don't care if i have to go back and use my on-board sound. Can somebody please give me a very basic walk-through on how to get this to work?! I'm desperate, I will mail you $1 if you can help!! :)

I think this is the right forum to post this question, if not, soooorry.

THANKS!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am moving this post to the Ubuntu section so their pros can try to help you.

It sounds like your system may be having a conflict trying to figure out which sound card to use. I don't know if ALSA is used in ubuntu 9.10, but you can try to run alsaconf in a terminal to tell the system which sound device to use.
  • ok, thanks.

edit:
    i didn't see it in the ubuntu section, so i went ahead and started a new thread. So you can delete this thread.
  • OK...UHHH...I have no idea what happened BUT i somehow have sound. I updated to the latest version of Ubuntu that just came out, and reboot and BOOM i have sound!

Now, i don't have video! anywho, I'm gonna try and figure this out...if you have any pointers just shoot em at me.

i know this isn't my blog... ;)
  • mfillpot
    Have you tried going into the ubuntu recovery mode to see if you have video in command line mode prior to the system loading the video acceleration drivers for the gui?
  • FIXED! There was some setting in VLC that i didn't have checked off and that did the trick!
    I now have sound AND video.

:D
  • mfillpot
    Homeless_Drunk wrote:
    FIXED! There was some setting in VLC that i didn't have checked off and that did the trick!
    I now have sound AND video.

:D

So the video was not being displayed in a specific application, I was thinking you were saying that the problem was that no video was coming from ubuntu.

When explaining issues please explain exactly which components/applications are effected by the specific problem.

Categories

Upcoming Training