Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Everywair (Sony VGN-Z51XG)

Options

Hi there,

I plan to buy a Sony Vaio VGN-Z51XG. Unfortunately none of my notebook dealers allows me to plug in a live-usb-stick to verify that the hardware is detected properly.

Anyway, Sony has built in a 3G-module called "everywair". I couldn't find any informations on what chipset this module is based on :-( Does anybody know what's that for a network adapter and if linux will support it?

Thanks!

Regards,

Holger

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    It seems like all the 3g WWAN technology comes from the same Partnership.

HSDPA/UMTS is in the same family of technologies as HSPA 7.2, GSM (Global System for Mobile) and LTE (Long Term Evolution). All are represented by the 3d Generation Partnership Project, a collaboration of equipment makers and carriers.

Another link:
    http://www.3gpp.org/

This stuff is way over my head, but, from what I've seen, the 3G connections work well with most flavors of Linux. The Sony laptops, on the other hand, I remember from a couple of years back, were problematic with Linux. I don't know from experience if that's true today, but if it was me, I would want to find some vendor that will allow that usb stick to be plugged in.

I had the same experience when I last shopped for a laptop, so, I told the store manager I was displeased, wrote an email to customer service (which was never returned), then, took my business to Dell.
  • wesser
    Options
    I found out that the used chipset is a "Qualcomm Gobi". It's a little bit tricky to get the wwan-module work, because I have to backport the driver from the recent development kernel (2.6.32-rc6) and feed it with the proprietary firmware (taken from windows). Don't know, how it will work but I let you know... ;-)
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    We would definately want to hear how you made out.

Categories

Upcoming Training