Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Windows inside linux+C2D T6500 doesn't support hardware VT

Options

I am new user of ubuntu and would like to use windows inside linux using some worthwhile VT tools like virtualbox or Vmware. The problem is that my processor is core 2 duo T6500 and from its updated specifications it doesn’t support hardware virtualization!. Does that mean I cannot use VT at all ??. In some website its said that without hardware VT, 64bit OSs cannot be virtual guests, does that mean I can have 32 bit OS guests. I plan to use ubuntu 9.04 64 bit ( jaunty jackalope) and any windows OS (XP or more; 32 bit or 64 bit plz guide)..

Any help is appreciated

Dell Studio 17” ( Model 1737); Core 2 Duo T6500; 4 GB RAM; 320 HDD

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    In my experience with virtualization software I have found no issues with running 64-bit clients in a 64-bit host OS using Vmware or VirtualBox with my CPU virtualization turned off. The only restriction I have encountered that was dependent on the CPU virtualization is when I run kvm, which is kernel based virtualization not software based.

I say at this point trust that the software solutions should work on you CPU so give it a try and let us know if you encounter issues. ;)

Categories

Upcoming Training