Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

need Linux compatible external DVD writer

Options

Hi all..

Recently, I plan to buy an external DVD writer to replace the functionality of the broken internal DVD writer built into my laptop.

But I have a doubt, are all external DVD writers compatible with Linux? Could any of you recommend certain models that are compatible with Linux, specifically Fedora 9 with 2.6.31 kernel?

More over, (and probably you might already guessed) it should be a USB 2.0 based.Preferrably under US$ 100 and can be used for booting.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Dell sells one that works with its Ubuntu netbooks. Look up the mini 10v and see which model it comes with. Although, I really haven't come across an external usb cdrom drive that hasn't been recognized immediately by my Linux installs. Maybe I've been lucky. Does anyone here know of one that doesn't work?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Most CDROM devices conform to set specifications and are accepting using the default CDROM kernel driver. It should not matter if you are connecting it through IDE, SATA or USB. However prior to a purchase it is always a good idea to google the device model and linux to see if there are error reports from anyone.

The ability to use a USB CDROM for booting is not based upon the CDROM model, it is based upon your motherboard BIOS, you can check your boot options in your BIOS for a "USB - HDD" option which would specify that it is supported.
  • mulyadi.santosa
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks for thoughts. I'll keep them in mind.

BTW, I check my laptop BIOS' menu and it has option to boot from USB CDROM. It's not named "USB HDD", instead it is named USB-CDROM but I believe that means my laptop support USB DVD booting.

I still welcome further opinions.

Categories

Upcoming Training