Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

64G ram support and i915 graphics driver

Hi

according to the following page there is a problem with highmemory support and certain intel graphic cards which also affects me. I read the page so I downloaded linux-2.6.31-rc1.tar.bz2 from kernel.org then I did the following

# cd /usr/src/
# tar -xjf linux-2.6.31-rc1.tar.bz2
# cd linux-2.6.31-rc1
# make menuconfig

I navigated to "Device Drivers ---> Graphics Support ---> Support for frame buffer devices ---> " and to " Device Drivers ---> Graphics Support ---> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) ---> " but I can't see any options for

drm/i915: enable GEM on PAE.

agp: switch AGP to use page array instead of unsigned long array

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    If you run a 64-bit kernel then you should not have this problem. I am assuming, of course, that your CPU is 64-bit capable?
  • It's a 32 bit intel centrino core 2 processor and the board supports a maximum of 8G RAM. In this article the writer said that there is a problem with server kernels so I will try to compile for a desktop.
  • bofhorg
    bofhorg Posts: 11
    isn't the core2 64 bit ? I thought the intel core was 32 bit and core2 was 64bit. so maybe wrong distro?
  • I had no success with the desktop kernel. My laptop has been shipped with a 32 bit m$ vista so I don't believe the processor is a 64 bit one.

debian:/root # lscpu
    Architecture: i686
    CPU(s): 1
    Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
    CPU family: 6
    Model: 23
    Stepping: 6
    CPU MHz: 800.000
    Virtualization: VT-x
    L1d cache: 32K
    L1i cache: 32K
    L2 cache: 3072K
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    All Core2 processors including the centrinos are 64-bit. Per information I have received, but not confirmed, Ms stopped shipping Vista 64-bit because the manuafacturers were not making 64-bit drivers for vista. They just plugged 32-bit Vista in that system because it was all that was available.

After switiching to a 64-bit distro you should see most if not all of your RAM, if you need more RAM then you will need to recompile the kernel.

Categories

Upcoming Training