Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux on Mac

Options

Ok not sure s to how i would do this. Well i want to use linux on a mac wether dual boot or as the only OS.

So heres the computer specs. (mind you its old 1998)

300mhz proccessor,

G3 powerpc

6mb video ram

160 mb RAM

40 gb HD

Running MAc Os X 10.1.5

What i want to put on here is Puppy linux if possible but some other form of linux will also do.

I am not sure as to what steps i would take to even start sop if someone has an sort of instructional that would be awesome.

Can it be done?

thanks.

If more info is needed please don;t hesitate for the additiional information that may be required to help me in my quest to get it up and running thanks.

Comments

• ford
    ford Posts: 24
    Options
    Unfortunately there are not any Linux distributions that will truly properly support Macintosh Power laptops. You will find that your wireless card (if any) will likely be finnicky, and your touchpad (if any) will also be finicky.

Slackintosh
    openSuSE
    Ubuntu
    Debian

Those will give you the best possible Linux experience on the Power platform (at least of which I am aware). If you choose to go the Ubuntu route, Xubuntu would be better suited to your hardware, but Slackintosh is scalable (window maker instead of KDE may be a good option). If you know the graphics chipset, network card manufacturer and model, and the touchpad manufacturer I would be able to tell you more.

Categories

Upcoming Training