Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Options

IM a new user of linux fedora,and low and behold not having much luck.Can anybody help me with my problem?...Why does my computer freeze up and why does the monitor turn off?..It mainly happens when i sign on the e-net..I cant even get started.

thx John

Comments

• tw3ak
    tw3ak Posts: 37
    Options
    Dear "JOHN",

Pardon me, couldn't help myself LOL. First give us more info, Computer hardware you are using. Version of Fedora you are using make sure you have the name of the graphics card and model as well.
  • johnweidmann
    Options
    I'm using a "radeon 9200" 128m video card. My monitor is a Hanns-g...It is not a name brand computer. Everything started out well until i created a wireless network with a AT&T Router/modem..everytime i connect my monitor "turns off" .Running the software 'WAS" ok until e-net connection? And now the monitor turns off and i cant reload the software? O and i'm using fedora 10 cambridge..or trying to anyways..lol
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Options
    johnweidmann wrote:
    I'm using a "radeon 9200" 128m video card. My monitor is a Hanns-g...It is not a name brand computer. Everything started out well until i created a wireless network with a AT&T Router/modem..everytime i connect my monitor "turns off" .Running the software 'WAS" ok until e-net connection? And now the monitor turns off and i cant reload the software? O and i'm using fedora 10 cambridge..or trying to anyways..lol
    I must say this sounds very strange...
    What happens after the monitor turns off? Does the actual power LED inidicator on the monitor turn off? Can you turn the monitor back on? Or do you have to reboot the PC? Have you tried accessing a Virtual Terminal? You can do this by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2,F3, etc.) key combo. Then log in as root, and try these commands, to get some possible clues:

dmesg

tail /var/log/messages

tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log

if you can't access a VT, can you ssh into the box from another PC? If so, then you can run the above commands that way.

Categories

Upcoming Training