Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

NT grub go bye-bye

hi, ken here

i had fedora for about 3 months, then some idiot got a hold of my PC and tried to install NT. now im stuck with a blasted grub shell that won't go away, no matter how many times i reinstall fedora.

tried:

-partitioning

-boot sector

-ms dos

-installing other os(2000,98,95)

grub still stays :(

please help!

Comments

• boot the fedora dvd or cd whatever , then chose update (not install)
    and then chose install new boot loader and that's it.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    kunix84 wrote:
    hi, ken here

i had fedora for about 3 months, then some idiot got a hold of my PC and tried to install NT. now im stuck with a blasted grub shell that won't go away, no matter how many times i reinstall fedora.

tried:
    -partitioning
    -boot sector
    -ms dos
    -installing other os(2000,98,95)

grub still stays :(

please help!

well, to blast the MBR, boot any recent Linux Live Boot CD. at the shell prompt, do:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

or /dev/sda, or whatever is your drive that contains grub. bye bye grub. hello, non-booting computer! now install OS du jour...
  • zillion
    zillion Posts: 7
    You can even try to reinstall grub after booting from live CD .
  • DMTR
    DMTR Posts: 4
    Boot from Fedora CD/DVD/USB/Etc
    Choose "rescue installed system", then customise regional parametresand agree with parametres.
    Then as the user "root" replace the root directory:
    #chroot /mnt/{YOUR_SYSTEM}

if root section was not mounted it is necessary mount to the previous command.
    Then rescue grub:
    #grub-install --no-floppy /dev/{YOUR_SYSTEM_DRIVE}

for example:
    #grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    This is a bit off of the base subject, but this issue is one of the reasons why I use lilo instead of grub, to fix the windows mbr overwrite issue I just have to type lilo in a terminal.
  • rbsfou
    rbsfou Posts: 4
    Well that's fine if he doesn't mind losing his partition table!
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1

Would just remove the code in the MBR, not the partition records. If you have inadvertantly done this ken, you can use 'gpart' to scan your disk for partitions and rebuild the partition table.

I would also wipe out the first 512 bytes of any partitions (although not the first 512 bytes of a type '5' extended!) as this will remove bootloaders from them too (sometimes called PBR, or 'Partition Boot Record').

If you still can't remove it, it might be the result of a dying hard disk - I once had an old 850mb drive refuse to accept the DOS bootloader on the MBR, insisting on loading LILO instead (I was trying to re-use the disk in another machine) - even though the filesystem containing the kernel had long gone!
  • atreyu
    if he's reinstalling Fedora a zillion times, i made the assumption that he didn't care about that. but yes, you are correct.
  • kunix84
    kunix84 Posts: 3
    fedora wont even start.
  • Gossamer
    Gossamer Posts: 20
    I'd hate to think you've already raped your HDD from all that partitioning.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Why wont' fedora start, is it because there is no boot loader on the system or is it because there is an internal problem with fedora itself that was was shown after the bootloader?
  • atreyu
    kunix84 wrote:
    fedora wont even start.

What happens, exactly, after POST? What is being displayed on the screen? Does it get to the grub menu?

In any case, if you can boot with a Fedora CD/DVD and type "linux rescue", it should put you in rescue mode, and from there, you should be able to reinstall grub.
  • rbsfou
    rbsfou Posts: 4
    Gossamer wrote:
    I'd hate to think you've already raped your HDD from all that partitioning.

Or at least the last few bytes in the MBR which define the partition 'borders' :P
  • kunix84
    kunix84 Posts: 3
    good news. i re-downloaded the live version. turns out my old cd was bad. thanks for all your help! :)

Categories

Upcoming Training