Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux on the new Sony P Series notebook

I've been searching around and only found one person who successfully got Fedora 11 on the Sony P-series notebook...I tried to boot off a live DVD but didn't work.

Anyone know of a Live CD/DVD distro that'll work on it?

I've tried Suse, Fedora, Backtrack, and Knoppix, all no go.

Comments

• atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Do you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to allow booting from CD/DVD? Do you know that the drive is good? Have you tried booting from a bootable USB device?
  • Seires
    Seires Posts: 5
    Nah it's not a booting issue perse' . I work for Sony, but prefer linux on most things and was just curious. I hook up the USB drive, bios is set properly, it starts to load the disk, but then just stays on a black screen. One of the distro's i tried, just kept flickering, so seemed like a video issue or something.

Which is why I tried so many. I do repairs at a Sony Style store and we are generally rather slow, so I toy around with stuff I probably shouldn't, but general knowlege = fun. =)
  • Seires
    atreyu wrote:
    Do you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to allow booting from CD/DVD? Do you know that the drive is good? Have you tried booting from a bootable USB device?

I have not tried a USB Bootable. The only USB drive i currently have is a 16gb i use for personal use and can't wipe it for a little while till my project is done.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Seires wrote:
    Nah it's not a booting issue perse' . I work for Sony, but prefer linux on most things and was just curious. I hook up the USB drive, bios is set properly, it starts to load the disk, but then just stays on a black screen. One of the distro's i tried, just kept flickering, so seemed like a video issue or something.

Which is why I tried so many. I do repairs at a Sony Style store and we are generally rather slow, so I toy around with stuff I probably shouldn't, but general knowlege = fun. =)

Okay, maybe try this distro - it is installed as a single file on your windows partition, you just need to have enuf space for it to fit (DISCLAIMER: I have never tried it - so I don't know what *could* happen. back up first!):
    http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/

or the ever popular wubi
    http://wubi-installer.org
  • Seires
    hmm thanks for those links...Not sure, but it sounds like it loads a boot manager, which i'm not really sure I want to have on the computer. But maybe when the new models come out and I can play with one in private I will =)
  • Flu
    Flu Posts: 8
    If you think it's a video issue, I think you can force it to use the generic vesa driver by passing the following boot line option: xdriver=vesa.

Categories

Upcoming Training